The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   New (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/new-246545/)

Maggie109 08-02-2013 10:21 AM

New

Hi I have just started riding, I know I'm not gunna be doing anything crazy or any thing, but I'm on the fourth privet lesson and the horse is so stubborn I spend the entire lesson fighting to get him to even slightly trot, even with a crop. She said he starts this way for every one and eventually will listen. I just feel like I am paying a lot of money for fighting the horse to trot around the ring.(also I wanted to learn english but she stated me in a western saddle to see my balance , and I feel very balanced and comfortable but she still has me in western? )

A little frustrated please tell me if this is normal or if I should move to a new stable.:?

Speed Racer 08-02-2013 10:40 AM

You're only on your fourth lesson. Relax, listen to your instructor, and eventually you'll start feeling more at home in the saddle and able to control the horse.

Four lessons is nothing; I've been riding well over 3 decades and sometimes still take a refresher course of lessons to keep me from getting sloppy and complacent.

Oh, and you don't need to make duplicate threads. If someone hasn't answered your original thread, be patient. Duplicate threads are annoying and unnecessary.

cowgirl4753 08-02-2013 10:55 AM

This is normal, try not to get frustrated. She has you in a western saddle for the safety, wouldnt want a fall and then you never wanting to ride again. As for the horse, a lot of the broke ones that are safe for newbies need a lot of push to get them to go somewhere. It comes from getting dead sidded to people flopping around on them. Trust her instructor, you ate only 4 rides in! If you were a couple months then id be concerned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 08-02-2013 11:15 AM

Very often horses don't do what we want them to do because we don't know how to properly ask them. : ) It does sound like the horse you are riding might have a program of challenging tender-foots. Does your instructor have another horse you can ride until you learn the cues? If not, just stick with it and try to keep your frustration level low. If you get upset that will transfer to the horse and then it becomes more work for both of you.
Also, your instructor will move you to an English saddle when she feels you are ready. Riding isn't just about being able to sit up there and go around looking good. It's about learning skills that allow you to communicate with a horse and this takes years, not just a few lessons. It is never just about the rider but about the horse and rider as a team. And it's a wonderful adventure.

TurkishVan 08-02-2013 11:30 AM

You might ask your instructor if she can put you and your horse on a lunge line, and she can use the whip to get him to trot. Oftentimes this is what has to be done with a dead-head lesson horse. It also allows you to completely focus on what you alone are doing, and let someone else manage the horse for a while.

If you've just started riding horses, I can see why she would put you in a western saddle first. You need to feel safe and stable on the horse's back, and a western saddle can give first-time riders that sense of extra security. Plus you have a horn to grab if something goes wrong.
Don't worry, you'll eventually get to an english saddle! Your instructor is just being cautious, which is good.

JCnGrace 08-02-2013 11:34 AM

You'll learn more on a horse that provides a challenge than one who is push button. My guess would be that your trainer starts everyone out on that horse and when it starts listening to you then the trainer knows you're talking the right language and then will step up your lessons some.

Maggie109 08-02-2013 11:59 AM

Thx

Thank you guys ! And sorry about the double post I wasn't shure wich section it belonged under

Skyseternalangel 08-03-2013 12:39 AM

Completely normal. You may think you're balanced, but just wait when the horse has more vroom than you are ready for.

With only 4 lessons, I'm happy that your instructor has you in a nice secure saddle.