The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Yearling conformation critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/yearling-conformation-critique-24668/)

hotreddun 03-20-2009 10:08 PM

Yearling conformation critique

3 Attachment(s)
My husband (dear lord save me) has fallen for this little yearling colt. I know nothing about judging baby conformation as the youngest I've ever owned was a 2 1/2 year old. It looks toed out to me...is that a baby thing? It's a yearling colt. TB dam X APHA sire. The TB is said to be 16.2hh and the sire is 15hh. The colt is very affordably priced...but I wanted to see what everybody here would offer the seller? Genetically...would it be more likely to have the height of the 16.2 dam or would I be stuck with a shorty? We are an English household...so he would need the aptitude for jumping/eventing. Tell me what you think?

Flyinghigh12 03-20-2009 11:52 PM

His front toes point out, I can't tell if the back ones do but here are some problems that might occur.

Creates excess strain on one side of the hoof, pastern and fetlock, predisposing the horse to DJD, ringbone, foot soreness or bruising.
The horse will tend to wing, possibly causing an interference injury. May damage splint or cannon bone.
This conformation diminishes the push from rear legs, as symmetry and timing of the striding is altered with the rotated foot placement, particularity at the trot. Thus, stride efficiency is affected to slow the horse’s gait.
The horse is unable to sustain years of hard work.
An angular limb deformity causing a pigeon toed appearance from the fetlock down, with the toe pointing in toward the opposite limb.
Horse is most suited for pleasure riding, non-impact, low-speed, and non-pivoting work.
These horses tend to paddle, creating excess motion and twisting of the joints with the hoof in the air. This is unappealing in show horse, wasteful energy, which reduces the efficiency of the stride, so the horse fatigues more quickly. The hoof initially impacts ground on inside wall, causing excess stress on the inside structures of the limb, leading to ringbone (DJD) and sole or heel bruising in inside of hoof.

I would pass by this colt, it would be hard to fix this problem if it can be at this stage, and its alot of work. Since you're wanting to jump and stuff I wouldn't recomend getting this horse. Sorry, hope you find something nice for ur hubby! Good luck

Solon 03-21-2009 12:19 PM

You can't judge a horse that young because they are going to change so much until they are full grown.

However, having to judge something that horse is a definite pass for all the reasons flyinghigh mentioned. VERY unappealing horse even with the quirky yearling look.

reining girl 03-22-2009 02:25 AM

I agree, there could be alot of problems down the road. I think he is cute, pretty color, but ya i would pass

FGRanch 03-22-2009 12:07 PM

Hmm...maybe I'm weird, but I don't think it's all the bad. I think with regular trimming those feet would go straight in a real hurry.

FGRanch 03-22-2009 12:08 PM

Sorry for the double post but just had to say, look at his feet they obviously haven't been trimmed for a while, they are very long.

Also, yes most babies do turn out in the front toes. Because of how they bend to eat grass...picture it in your head and you will know what I'm talking about.

MovingOn 03-22-2009 01:47 PM

I think he is nice. I agree with the above post, with trimming, those hooves will definitely look better.

hotreddun 03-22-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 274946)
Sorry for the double post but just had to say, look at his feet they obviously haven't been trimmed for a while, they are very long.

Also, yes most babies do turn out in the front toes. Because of how they bend to eat grass...picture it in your head and you will know what I'm talking about.

Oh...is there anything cuter than the foal "giraffe" pose!

I think we are going to go look at him anyway next weekend. For his price range its not like Im expecting perfection or a Grand Prix or anything.

FGRanch 03-22-2009 05:03 PM

He is most cetianly worth taking a look at! If you look at the front view of him you can see that his bones are structurally sound, if you will. His bones don't have any bends, folds or any weird curves. His feet have not been kept up on and you can see that they outside of his feet are longer than the rest and the insides are curling under a touch, resulting in turned out toes, and as I did say before that is very common in young foals, especially ones that are not trimmed on a regular basis.

However I would like to see another profile shot of his front legs. He does look a little over at the knees, but that could just be the way he was standing. He has a great head, nice topline and seems to have a nice hip and shoulder.

My Opinion? Drive out there and have a look! :D

Okay sorry for the excessive posting on this thread, but I was very tired this morning and didn't get fully into what I wanted to say!

hotreddun 03-22-2009 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 275034)
He is most cetianly worth taking a look at! If you look at the front view of him you can see that his bones are structurally sound, if you will. His bones don't have any bends, folds or any weird curves. His feet have not been kept up on and you can see that they outside of his feet are longer than the rest and the insides are curling under a touch, resulting in turned out toes, and as I did say before that is very common in young foals, especially ones that are not trimmed on a regular basis.

However I would like to see another profile shot of his front legs. He does look a little over at the knees, but that could just be the way he was standing. He has a great head, nice topline and seems to have a nice hip and shoulder.

My Opinion? Drive out there and have a look! :D

Okay sorry for the excessive posting on this thread, but I was very tired this morning and didn't get fully into what I wanted to say!

We're going to go look at him next Saturday morning. Its only a 20 minute drive so I think its worth a look. The seller just sent me another picture...and Im starting to convince myself he might be a diamond in the rough. His dams grandfather was Secretariat and has plenty of other good bloodlines. And I liked the new movement picture quite a bit.