The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   QH X Hanoverian (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/qh-x-hanoverian-24682/)

AKPaintLover 03-21-2009 03:48 AM

QH X Hanoverian

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, this is probably a stupid idea...I am tired.

I have spent the winter looking for a jumper prospect filly in my price range. Every time that I get close, it seems like the day I am ready to put money down, someone else bought the horse just before that. Living in Alaska adds about $2500 to the cost of any horse that I am looking at, so that limits my price range. When you are looking at Oldenburgs and Hanoverians, there is very little in my price range, and even less that is not total junk.

I have never been one to breed to produce horses that cannot be registered (with a reputable registry anyway). I am certainly one for responsible breeding...BUT.... I also know that the best jumper at our barn is a QH/Morgan cross. he is consistent at 3'6"-3'9".

Keep in mind that I am not looking for a horse to sell...I am looking for a hunter/jumper prospect for our barn. So my question is....how much of a bad idea would it be to breed our AQHA (registered) mare to a top notch Oldenburg or Hanoverian Jumping sire??

Our mare is very hunter type in her movement, is incredibly athletic, and has not done a whole lot with jump training, but has taken to it very naturally. She free jumped 3'9" last fall (after having her colt in the spring), and she WAY over-jumped. She is a very dainty 15 H... sometimes mistaken actually for and Arabian. With her colt still at her side, and having no show experience last year (and acting quite naughty actually), she won her hunter pleasure class, Low working hunter flat, and hunter hack. I have no doubt that she will do incredibly well now that we are going to be focusing on her riding/training/showing more.

I know that this is not a common cross, and any time that I thought about the cross, I would have wrinkled my nose at it, but looking at our specific mare, I am wondering if it might not be a bad idea? I don't know...

Opinions?

Spyder 03-21-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKPaintLover (Post 274304)
Okay, this is probably a stupid idea...I am tired.

I have spent the winter looking for a jumper prospect filly in my price range. Every time that I get close, it seems like the day I am ready to put money down, someone else bought the horse just before that. Living in Alaska adds about $2500 to the cost of any horse that I am looking at, so that limits my price range. When you are looking at Oldenburgs and Hanoverians, there is very little in my price range, and even less that is not total junk.

I have never been one to breed to produce horses that cannot be registered (with a reputable registry anyway). I am certainly one for responsible breeding...BUT.... I also know that the best jumper at our barn is a QH/Morgan cross. he is consistent at 3'6"-3'9".

Keep in mind that I am not looking for a horse to sell...I am looking for a hunter/jumper prospect for our barn. So my question is....how much of a bad idea would it be to breed our AQHA (registered) mare to a top notch Oldenburg or Hanoverian Jumping sire??

Our mare is very hunter type in her movement, is incredibly athletic, and has not done a whole lot with jump training, but has taken to it very naturally. She free jumped 3'9" last fall (after having her colt in the spring), and she WAY over-jumped. She is a very dainty 15 H... sometimes mistaken actually for and Arabian. With her colt still at her side, and having no show experience last year (and acting quite naughty actually), she won her hunter pleasure class, Low working hunter flat, and hunter hack. I have no doubt that she will do incredibly well now that we are going to be focusing on her riding/training/showing more.

I know that this is not a common cross, and any time that I thought about the cross, I would have wrinkled my nose at it, but looking at our specific mare, I am wondering if it might not be a bad idea? I don't know...

Opinions?

Not a stupid idea and a more common cross than you may think.Your mare may be able to get approved in the ISR NA in the lower book ( I have seen it happen) and therefore any baby will have papers. I would look into her potential approval as you may be selling her short.

Quarter/Hanno cross...

Here is quarter/Hanno cross

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/d...ling/dark2.jpg

upnover 03-21-2009 10:10 AM

I've known some incredible QH/WB horses that are very successful in the show ring. Like Spyder said, not as uncommon as you would think. I'd much rather have a quality cross between 2 individuals that complement each other rather then some "oops" looking purebred.

AKPaintLover 03-21-2009 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info.! Wow... That is great! I was looking at the ISR NA website, it looks like I could haul to Washington for an inspection, but it looks like you can have a mare and foal inspected at the same time... that would be a lot smarter for me to do as the cost of the trip will be quite large. Am I understanding the literature to be correct? You can have a mare and foal inspected at the same time? What if the foal passes, but not the mare? or vice versa?

There are a lot of great stallions out there with a lot of jumping talent... what should I be looking for in a potential sire to complement my dainty AQHA mare? I would assume complementary builds? Height for her shortness? What else?

Spyder 03-21-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKPaintLover (Post 274507)
There are a lot of great stallions out there with a lot of jumping talent... what should I be looking for in a potential sire to complement my dainty AQHA mare? I would assume complementary builds? Height for her shortness? What else?

Look at my post 5 on this thread. The owner of Ironman is wonderful to deal with and if you talked to her you will get a lot more correct information that will be of help to you.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...er-sire-24681/

Stepher 03-22-2009 06:59 PM

This is my coach's Canadian Sport Horse/ QH. She was just over a year old in these pics, and is now 2 and looks more quarter horse that warmblood, but still has some growing to do.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u....july11008.jpg
** that is not her dam in the background
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u....july11011.jpg

For reference, this is mom:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...hotos/07-1.jpg
and dad was a stocky quarter horse.

I think there is nothing wrong with a HanoxQH, and you could get a very nice hunter out of that combo!

sixlets 05-01-2009 07:06 PM

I have a Hanoverian X QH and he's a great jumper. Last season he recieved first place in family class and junior hunter jumper under a different rider (I just bought him a few months ago.) The cross is usually a nice size; Jasper, my gelding, is 17 hh. The fun thing with X with a QH is the coloring you can get, like Jasper is a red dun which I've never seen on a Hanoverian. I would definately reccomend this cross, except that it's not easy to them registered, so if that's a big deal to you I would go with a more common QH X that has a registry.

kitten_Val 05-02-2009 10:52 PM

Wow, Spider! What a nice one!