The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Dressage saddles in endurance (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/dressage-saddles-endurance-247001/)

Faustinblack 08-02-2013 10:58 PM

Dressage saddles in endurance

Hey y'all, I'm looking at buying an english saddle as a primary saddle for endurance. But I'm not too fond of how...kinked english riders legs are. So I was looking at getting a dressage saddle. So, thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 08-02-2013 11:12 PM

i see quite a few wintec dressage and endurance english styles. Id try one if they came big enough

Faustinblack 08-02-2013 11:17 PM

The one I'm looking at is an older model wintec dressage. No cair and no changeable gullet. I don't want a leather saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Becca93 08-02-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faustinblack (Post 3241929)
The one I'm looking at is an older model wintec dressage. No cair and no changeable gullet. I don't want a leather saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device

I recommend you sitting in one of the older Wintec saddles because the shape is quite a lot different to the new saddles.

Faustinblack 08-03-2013 12:22 AM

How so? I haven't ridden english in 15 years, and that was a plain english lesson saddle. Never sat in a dressage saddle
Posted via Mobile Device

Faustinblack 08-03-2013 12:47 AM

Tekna S Line Endurance Saddle - Statelinetack.com

Or has anyone heard of this brand?
Posted via Mobile Device

Doodlesweaver 08-03-2013 01:03 AM

I like the older model Wintecs MUCH more than the newer models. I don't like the Wintec 2000 I bought 2 yrs ago but like the old Wintecs two of my instructors have. Even like the one that's duct taped up better than the newer model. The older ones just have a better feel.

TheOtherHorse 08-03-2013 10:14 AM

I feel much more secure and balanced in a dressage saddle than anything else. There are many subtle shape differences between them, so best thing to do is go to a tack shop that has several and sit in them all.

I love the Wintec Isabell (narrow twist), but not so much a fan of the other Wintec dressage models (for me - many people like a wider twist). Some people like a deeper seat, others like flatter. I do like Wintecs and think they fit some horses well, but not all horses, even with the changeable gullets. It has to be the right shape too. I also don't like the CAIR system at all, but they do still come in wool flocked too, it is just harder to find since the CAIR seems to be so popular.

Faustinblack 08-03-2013 03:48 PM

The saddle I'm using now is an abetta Arabian endurance. The pitch fits him fine, but his withers are narrow and high, and the saddle is made for the wide low withers. Would the wintecs work for him. I don't have a big budget.

EdmontonHorseGal 08-03-2013 04:36 PM

i have an older wintec dressage and don't care for it that much. i was using it on my prior lease horse because it was the only of my three saddles that fit him.

from what i've read and what i've experienced, the stirrup bars are set too far forward on this wintec and you tend to sit in a 'chair seat' with your legs farther forward than they should be. due to this, i opted to ride without stirrups more often than with in my wintec.

why not look at an aussie saddle? they have the same seat and flap shape as a dressage from what i can see, and look very comfortable for long rides. i've not ridden in one, but many people like them. if the right aussie saddle came along at the right price, i'd be likely to have one myself.