The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Horse doesn't seem to like me? (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/horse-doesnt-seem-like-me-247113/)

silverstar1178 08-03-2013 12:47 AM

Horse doesn't seem to like me?

i ride this mare in my lesson she does ok when i keep her close to the group even does a frame sometimes. but if she gets to far away or if i try to do solo work she will not work for be. she just keeps bucking and refusing to move. I have tried to get tough it makes it worse. tried really calm gentle approach still no good, But other people can make her work solo. she still doesn't like it but she won't fight them. My instructor can't seem to think of what it is i'm doing wrong. i always give her her head i dont pull on her mouth my seat is fine and im not beating her with my legs or crop constantly. I just dont get it. she will work for me in the group not solo but other people can get her to work solo without her fighting. both my instructor and I agree that getting more aggressive is not going to do any good. I'm lost and have no idea what i could be doing wrong? I have a good seat on her and have kept good balance when she bucks so it's not all bad but even walk alone she puts up a huge fight. this is really frustrating. Am i just a bad rider?

Phly 08-03-2013 12:55 AM

If all the above is true, she may not like you, for whatever reason. Do you ride any other horses? How do they act?

I've found it common for horses to pick and chose for a few different reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device

silverstar1178 08-03-2013 01:01 AM

I'v ridden other horses ok. Usually those really easy lesson horses. most of our horses/ponies are either beginner or advanced nothing in between. I'v been ridding for 4 year she's a bit of an advanced horse but I do everything right on her she just doesn't seem to like me and i can't think of what im doing to make her act like such a brat. I don't think it's lack of experience, like i said my instructor hasn't noticed anything obviously wrong i'm doing and compliments my ability to hang on even when shes bucking. It doesn't tend to trow off my balance. but it's getting discouraging i can't get her to work solo. Makes me kinda question my abilities.

silverstar1178 08-03-2013 01:03 AM

she's basically the most advanced horse i have ridden and i haven't really had any chance with anyone in between beginner and advanced. Other horses have been fine though but they are also very easy and I don't get much out of them at this point.

Phly 08-03-2013 01:10 AM

Could it be that you're just not on to her buttons yet? Or that she's very soft or forward, maybe it suprises you, which in turn you tense, and she feeds off that?

Or even maybe just nervous stepping up?
Posted via Mobile Device

silverstar1178 08-03-2013 01:15 AM

we've tried "getting up her buttons" it's made things worse and my instructor doesn't think it's gonna fix the issue. She's got a soft mouth so i always keep looser reigns with her I have tried being light and simple when ridding. it's worked a little at least helping her behave as far as being spaced out goes. It goes ok in the group it's the second i try to get her to do anything alone all the sudden she wont work for me.

silverstar1178 08-03-2013 01:17 AM

i have to get off now. think you can come back tomorrow to talk about this more? thanks I appreciate you helping me.(just leave a response to the other one i will get back to it tomrrow

Phly 08-03-2013 01:24 AM

You'll find lots of help here, and I'm sure lots of replys by tomorrow :)

Buttons, anyone care to elaborate on that? Or shall I fumble my way through trying to explain it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Northern 08-03-2013 05:10 PM

1. The horse will tell you if you're doing it wrong. The horse is the best teacher of all things horse. All of the advice here won't hold a candle to the horse herself, in teaching you what you're doing wrong. Instead of getting frustrated (the most ineffective attitude to have with a horse), say, "how interesting! Please teach me, horse!" and let her help you solve the fun puzzle.

2. Don't take it personally, that the horse doesn't like you. The horse is simply saying, "Listen, you're doing things wrong." You must listen, feel of her first, go with her program first, before you can justifiably make demands of her. Your teacher is useless because she wants to make demands of her before feeling of her/listening to her. Each horse likes to be ridden in its own way, so have fun learning what her way is, which only she can teach you.

3. You're right that this horse is more sensitive/spirited/"advanced" than your prior mounts, thus it's lesson time for you, if you will only become her student. Then she'll be able to rely upon you to make the decisions.

Hope that helps!

usandpets 08-06-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 3243042)
Buttons, anyone care to elaborate on that? Or shall I fumble my way through trying to explain it?
Posted via Mobile Device

On an elevator, you push buttons to get it to do something, like move. Same with horses, except they don't have actual buttons. There are certain cues to get the horse to do what you want. If you don't know how to cue the horse (push her button), the horse won't do what you want.

Usually, there are basic cues that most horses can respond to. With a more trained horse, giving the correct cue in the wrong spot of the horse will cause the horse to respond different. Lets take the cue of your right leg. Putting your leg on for most horses would mean to turn left. A better trained or advance trained horse, the same cue but more towards the butt would mean to move the butt over. The same cue but forward on the body, by the front leg, would mean to move the front over. So the same cue on different parts of the body will get different results. If you cue in the wrong spot, you won't get what you want. You're pushing the wrong button.
Posted via Mobile Device