The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Cleaning wooden brushes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cleaning-wooden-brushes-247578/)

ootwistedoo 08-03-2013 07:44 PM

Cleaning wooden brushes

Does anybody know how to clean soft/hard bristled brushes that are backed with wood? Normally I immerse my plastic-backed brushes in soapy water and soak them, then agitate them, then rinse them as needed, but I don't think it's exactly good for wood to be soaking in water :?

bluecharm7 08-03-2013 08:06 PM

I always used them to wash my horse. The soap from the shampoo and the scrubbing motion when scrubbing your horse always worked for mine. They always were clean when done the bath and it was time saving. Now if you need to make sure that they are sanitized then I would soak them in a 10% bleach water solution and let them sit for 10 or more minutes.

amberly 08-03-2013 08:22 PM

Where I work at, this is what the lady made me do to clean all of her grooming tools - woodbacked, soft, hard, hoofpicks, etc.

She made me get a bucket of warm water, then put a little bit of bleach in as well as some dawn soap. I let them soak for a few minutes, then took each on indivually and scrubbed them with my hand for a few minutes. Then once they were cleaned I took the hose and power sprayed them right next to the bristles so all the soap got washed out of the bristles as well as any extra dirt and hair.

One of her burshes was very grey with the slightest notice of "whoa" written in it. After I cleaned it, it turned out that the brush was black and the "whoa" was a rich blue color.

But that way of cleaning works really well.

Kato 08-03-2013 09:28 PM

Here is a good article on cleaning natural brushes / brushes with wood backs
Cleaning Horse Brushes

Foxhunter 08-12-2013 03:02 AM

It will not hurt the wood to get it wet.
I just chuck all grooming brushes in a bucket of hand hot soapy water. Scrub one brush against another to get it clean. Rinse under the hose and allow to dry. Leather backed brushes gat some saddle soap rubbed into the back of them.