The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Arab Morgan Cross (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arab-morgan-cross-247618/)

remka 08-03-2013 09:43 PM

Arab Morgan Cross

I have never been aroun Morgan's, what are they typically like? I'm thinking about buyin a 16 year old Arab Morgan mix, do you think he's still got spunk, and good time left? (Aka not lame, able to preform, be in his prime) I haven't gone to see him jet, but plan to soon, I'm looking for a horse to jump, not too high, but at least 2-3 ft, and do dressage, and maybe school cross country, I was originally looking at younger horses, but I came across him, and liked him, and I have known 22 yr old thoroughbreds to act five, and Morgan's are decendents of Thoroughbreds correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 08-03-2013 09:54 PM

:)..the two breeds of your cross there are two different personalities. My first horse was a Morgan/Welsh (pony) cross. Morgans are gentle horses, generally calm and quiet though like any breed they have their more energetic versions. They take training well but can be a little stubborn.

Arabians are a little more energetic. The ones I have come across, and a friend of mine breeds them, have all been well, very hot. They have expressive gaits though not as expressive as say a saddlebred..more long then up and down.

The horse you are talking about, I believe referred to as a Morab? is 16 so given the age the horse probably isn't going to be a nutcase. Whether the horse has the look and/or mind of a Morgan or Arab you won't know until you see him. Arabs are more refined with a dished face; Morgans are more stocky. Morgans make good dressage horses if they have the right movements; Arabs would be better for jumping, so, in essence, it depends upon how the mix came out.

Eole 08-03-2013 10:00 PM

That is one of my favorite arab cross. I find them gorgeous, athletic, versatile and interesting personality-wise. If he's got no major health issues or flaws, I think you can do anything with this boy for years to come.

I know a lady who owns wonderful morab stallion that does dressage, jumping, CTR and endurance.

remka 08-03-2013 10:04 PM

I know what Arabs are like, I used to ride them, I have come across great ones, and I came across some that were genetically nasty, the whole family was, the ex stallion was nasty, and both his sons were nasty, the sons both grew up in loving homes, and were still super nasty. The other Arabs I have worked with were amazing, one taught me how to ride, how to fall, and how to leg yield, and do quite a bit of bareback stuff. If its Arab-y, I can handle it. That's why I was asking about the Morgan side of the family, because I haven't ever met one.
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 08-03-2013 10:08 PM

Again, the horse can go either way as with any mix. With any luck you get the best mix of the two..an athletic horse (Arab side) on a horse with a good mind (Morgan). At worst you'll get a large (as in stocky) fruitcake.

remka 08-04-2013 09:14 AM

Here's the link to his add.
Great 4-H/Trail Riding Horse for sale in Trumbull County , Ohio :: HorseClicks
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 08-04-2013 09:20 AM

Good thing my barn is full and I live too far away!

Iseul 08-04-2013 09:52 AM

If you don't buy him soon I might be going to get him, lol.

I love Morgans from the two I've dealt with..They have some spunk, but are sooo loving and can be calm. There's a Morgan mare at our barn who will be 27 this year and she still runs barrels/poles and places almost everytime. She stills trail rides, does small jumps for fun (western rider now), and she keeps her weight without needing a ton of food over winter.

I'd definitely go take a look at him, and I'm sure he'd have no issue (as long as he's healthy and sound) to do what you'd like him to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 08-05-2013 03:56 AM

When you get a cross there is no limit to what the horse might be like. It's not as simple as it being like one or the other, or a cross of both. It's not remotely predictable.

Same with age, some horses are active and sound into their twenties - some aren't.

Only way to find these things out is to go have a look and test for yourself. As far as ability - again it's up to the individual. Most horses can jump that height, however some horses have no talent for jumping regardless of breeding. The surest way to find a horse capable of jumping that height and doing dressage is to buy a horse already doing those things.

Saying that, he looks sweet in the ad. A temperament score of "5" which to me sounds good. It seems they are guessing his age, so it wouldn't hurt to check his teeth.

tlkng1 08-05-2013 08:55 AM

He's cute..I'd like to see a side shot just to confirm what I think I am seeing :). He looks like he got more of the Arab refinement in his conformation but I see the Morgan influence in is head and face and he looks like he has a kind eye. Might be a little on the thin side but it could be the angle of the pic.

As an aside, my Morgan/Welsh cross went undefeated in the local trail classes despite the fact he was being ridden <gasp> english :). Morgan's have good brains usually and nothing much fazes them.