The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Mylar/Chris Cox Bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/mylar-chris-cox-bits-24765/)

Walkamile 03-22-2009 08:23 PM

Mylar/Chris Cox Bits

I'm looking into a mylar snaffle bit for Walka (he does fine in his full check snaffle, but feel he would be more comfortable in a mylar snaffle). Well, I checked out Chris Cox's snaffle bit and thought it was very similar in design and principle to a mylar. It also costs a little less (surprise, surprise).

What do you all think? Appreciate any and all input.

Chris Cox Horsemanship Co. : Clinician, Two-Time Road to the Horse Champion, TV Host, Equine Educator

LauraB 03-22-2009 08:50 PM

Well I haven't seen a chris Cox bit in person but I am a huge fan of Mylers. I have several of them including their snaffle bit. IMHO Mylers are the way to go!

MIEventer 03-22-2009 08:54 PM

I have never seen Chris Cox's bits - nor heard of him....BUT - I do love my Myler Bits.

What I like about the Myler is that I can lift one side without effecting the other side.

ditzydoo 03-22-2009 09:55 PM

nevr heard of chris coz bit but mylars are wonderful. .
there one of the few bits my horse will take as he is extemely fussy . . . and he is amazing in it =P

Whipple 03-22-2009 10:06 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...coxvsmylar.jpg

MIEventer 03-22-2009 10:15 PM

The thing with Mylars is that you can lift one side of the bit, without it effecting the other side of the bit.

The mouthpieces are not he same as the Chris Cox bits.

mayfieldk 03-22-2009 11:13 PM

The mylar looks to have more of a billy allen mouthpiece.

btw, Chris Cox is a big western guy--not so much english. ;) Think of Pat Parelli with all the ground work, then take away the goofy stuff like trees and jumping picnic tables. ;)

The bits can't really be compared. Also remember that although bits may LOOK the same, you are PAYING for the quality of the construction and the balance of the bit. Cheap bits = poor balance.

Walkamile 03-23-2009 08:45 AM

Whipple , that bit doesn't look at all like the Chris Cox bit I'm looking at on his sight. Is it one of his?

mls 03-23-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 275216)
The thing with Mylars is that you can lift one side of the bit, without it effecting the other side of the bit.

The mouthpieces are not he same as the Chris Cox bits.

A broken mouth piece does that. Myler is not unique in that.

Don't get me wrong, we own several Myler's but they are not magic in any way.

Whipple 03-23-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 275343)
Whipple , that bit doesn't look at all like the Chris Cox bit I'm looking at on his sight. Is it one of his?

I just googled chris cox bit and got that. Sorry if its not right, I've never seen cox bits before. :oops: