The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Fluffy is dying :( (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/fluffy-dying-24772/)

Tayz 03-23-2009 02:13 AM

Fluffy is dying :(

At school, my agriculture class are doing things with chickens. We put 21 eggs in an uncubator and 21 days later they all hatched(except for 3 which had nothing in it) My chicken was very fluffy so I named him Fluffy. He weighed about 30 grams maybe...dunno. 2 weeks on, the chickens were all getting their mature feathers and my fluff still had none. But I didn't give up. 4 weeks on and all the class's chickens weigh around the hundred and ten mark. Fluffy weighed 43. He got bitten by an ant when he was 3 weeks old too.
Today I went to the chicken coop to grab him. He looks the same as when I saw him 2 weeks ago. All the rest of the chickens weigh around 150 and he still looks the same(i bet he weighs the same too). I thought he was dead because he wasn't moving. I brought him out and he moved just an inch. He couldn't open his eyes or move around. He looked dead. He just lay there in my hand not moving.My teacher had no hopes of him surviving so she gave me another chicken who had no owner. My friend brought out a water trough thing for the other chickens and we put fluffy down next to it. I gently put his head in and he began drinking. He drank for a long time and his head didn't droop, he could open his eyes and everything. He was like another chicken. But he still has something wrong with him. Something he was born with. He was dehydrated but now he is comfy in a small cage by himself(not getting stood on by big chickens) and we will just have to see if he makes it through the night. I'm so sad. Fluffy doesn't deserve this :(

Is there anything I can do to make him feel more comfortable?
or to try and save him?

brookelovesparelli 03-23-2009 03:58 AM

oh thats so sad....we raised three chickens around christmas this year. my only suggestion other that getting a vet out to have a look would be.... did you have the chickens put under lights?? we had to have our chickens in a wooden box, then added sawdust into the bottom, with water in a container, & some baby chicken food mix (we got from our local pet store). perhaps you could go with your friend/teacher/parents or somthing to a pet store & see what they recommend. my chickens were just under a normal lamp with a 40 watt globe till they were about 6 weeks old, then gradualy taking the amount of lightage time down & down. I hope everything works out for your little chicken & you. here is a site you should have a look at....... The My Pet Chicken Guide to Chicken Care, Chapter 4: Caring for baby chicks

Tayz 03-23-2009 05:46 AM

Thanks. Yeah, they were under a light when they were young. Fluffy has good days and bad days. He's been getting worse though :(

thanks for the site, i'll take a look

brookelovesparelli 03-23-2009 06:14 AM

your welcome any thing i can do to help. I wonder if you were to call up the vet & ask whether it would be worth chucking him back under?? can't hurt to ask & i highly doubt they'd be asking for any money if you just call up & ask.

Tayz 03-23-2009 06:20 AM

Yeah. He was quite cold this morning. When i realised he was, I warmed him up with the heat from my hands. He is staying in a cage inside, so he should be warm enough tonight..

brookelovesparelli 03-23-2009 06:30 AM

thats good poor lil thing

Tayz 03-23-2009 06:06 PM

:(In the next hour I will find out if he survived the night :(

Tayz 03-24-2009 02:08 AM

The bus was late so I couldn't go see if Fluffy was alright until little lunch.
He sadly Passed away during the night. I cried for a while but I realised he isin't in pain anymore so I mourned his death silently afterwards.
I made a poem for fluffy.

Fluffy's Poem

You were young, you never got a choice
To let out your highpitching voice.
Time went by, but you never got older.
A few days ago, I noticed you were colder.
I tried my hardest to save you,
But it wasn't enough that day.
God sent his angels and took you away...

Yeah well....I'm really sad, but at least he isn't hurting anymore :'(

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2009 06:10 AM

ohhh you brought a tear to my eye that poems a really nice one. & you are right he's not in pain any more & has gone to a safe place. RIP lil one.

Tayz 03-25-2009 01:53 AM