The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Getting horses Fit...???... (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/getting-horses-fit-24773/)

brookelovesparelli 03-23-2009 02:49 AM

Getting horses Fit...???...

Hi everyone hope all is well. im just wondering if you have anyways of getting horses fit in the a limited amount of time?? im going on camp, for a week on Easter Sunday 20 days away. Any way the horse that im taking there is a bit fat so im wondering if there are any really good exercises to do while riding that are specially good to horses to help them lose weight?? any suggestions are much appreciated. thanks :D

ShowJumpLife 03-23-2009 02:54 AM

how unfit are we talking about here?

brookelovesparelli 03-23-2009 03:42 AM

sorry i don't think i wrote the question how i meant sorry. Ummm he's just fat i mean he doesn't break down, or anything like that when we ride,he's just fat. so what i meant is do you know of any exercises to do while we ride that help for Wildey (the horse) to lose weight, faster that just being ridden??

happygoose123 03-24-2009 07:14 AM

to get your horse (and you haha) really fit and not so fat fast is to do 5 mins walk 10 mins trot and just keep doing that for as long as you can without hurting your horse too much. and increase the amount of time every couple of days or something. It works really well. I dont know of anything that works better.

mls 03-24-2009 09:50 AM

I've taken about a hundred pounds off of one of my boarders horses. Diet and 20 minutes of lunging every other day. As she got more fit, I have increased to 25 minutes and added ground poles.

bgood400 03-24-2009 07:51 PM

you could always just cut your horses grain/hay back in addition to riding.

brookelovesparelli 03-24-2009 08:13 PM

he doesn't get any feed. He's just in the paddock. I'll try the 5min walk 10 min trot i don't know if i'll be able to rise trot for that long lol.

happygoose123 03-25-2009 07:27 AM

lol it is hard, thats why i said it gets you fit too!!! and it just gets harder and harder after every walk! haha!!! jsut do it for as long as you can. it really does work well. if your having trouble jsut start with 5 mins walk 5 mins trot. it wouldnt be quite as effective, but it wuld still work. and it would be much easier on you (and you horse) if either of you are having too much trouble. Lol hope it works for you!

toosleepy 03-25-2009 08:57 AM

i've had good luck with , 5 minutes trot, 5 minutes canter, reverse, 5 minutes trot , 5 minutes canter, then walk to cool them out. once they get fit to that add time to each gate.

brookelovesparelli 03-25-2009 04:15 PM

ok cool thanks. I rode him yesterday but i didn't have a timer, or a watch so we just did... warm up, then some trotting around the paddock, then some canter, lots of transitions, & then i took him to the arena & we did about one hours work in there. mostly the exercise were you ride around the arena & in each corner you do a 5meter circle. then on the other rein etc. well when i was done you should have seen the sweat it was ferral! lol hope to be going out again