The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Charlie's gone ... sort of. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/charlies-gone-sort-24778/)

iridehorses 03-23-2009 08:16 AM

Charlie's gone ... sort of.

Charlie is a big build 20 year old Arabian ~15h and definitely the dominant horse at my farm. He came to me along with Dusty as a trade for Patches. He's a nice horse with a lot of spark. My problem with him is that he is a shelter hog.

All winter, when we had freezing rain or that one snow, he would guard the entrance to the barn which left Bobo and Dusty outside. I fitted the inside of the common area of the barn with several gates on hinges so that I could cordon off stalls as needed and I could stall Charlie allowing the others room to come out of the weather. That was way too much trouble so Charlie had to go. He was basically only a companion horse for Bobo anyway and I still have Dusty.

So yesterday Charlie was walked over to my neighbor John's farm; it's only across the road and over the bridge ~1/4 mile away. Bobo took it hard and called for quite a while besides running and bucking around the paddock. I stayed with him for a while, gave him some cookies and groomed him a bit, helping him settle down. This morning, he was still feeling the effects of separation but was a lot better.

It's not like I've never sold or gave away a horse before but Bobo is just a little different and I hurt for him - but with rain coming latter this week, he'll be better off. Now maybe I can get rid of the rain rot he had most of the winter.

farmpony84 03-23-2009 08:26 AM

Poor Charlie... I'm sure he'll be ok though....

Barbarosa 03-23-2009 08:33 AM

Sounds like for the best for Bo in the long run. Always is hard to see one go even if it is close by, or you didnt even ride'em much anyway. Maureen and I sometimes wonder about the few we have sold, how the're doing ect. One I stop and see on my way to the folks house and that little mare sure is loved at that farm by three little girls. Just wish we could keep them all.

iridehorses 03-23-2009 01:27 PM

I went up to John's to check on Charlie this morning and found him covered in purple. Apparently he didn't see the wire fence and tried to go through it. John coated the cuts with some antiseptic dressing but one of the cuts was worse then the others. They don't seem to require stitching but I'll go pick up some combiotic this afternoon and give him some shots through the week to help with infection.

Mike_Admin 03-23-2009 01:39 PM

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear Charlie got hurt like that! I'm glad he won't be too far from you so that you can check in on him from time to time. It sounds like this is what is best for Bobo and Dusty since Charlie was keeping them from coming in.

Vidaloco 03-23-2009 01:43 PM

Oh dear, sorry to hear he got injured :-( I bet he remembers where that fence is from now on.
We have a shelter hog as well. We have a tiny lean-to shed area in my front barn that is too small for all of them. There is a large run-in back behind, that is more than ample for all of them. The thing is Fras (the lead mare) will always go into the small shed when the weather is bad, letting the filly's in and leaving Vida to stand outside with just her head under cover. Barby and I have discussed blocking off the small one forcing them to use the one to the rear. One of these days we will git er done. :lol:

iridehorses 03-23-2009 02:21 PM

Thanks guys. Bobo is just not an alfa horse except with Dusty. I didn't mind having Charlie here until the winter came and he kept the others from coming in. Several times during the winter, until I set up the gate/stall system, I had to put a waterproof blanket on Bobo to stop the shivering. That just meant the Charlie had to go. I guess he really didn't want to!

Well I picked up some penicillin and I'll start his injections tonight. He's a real colorful horse right now - white, red, and purple.

3neighs 03-23-2009 03:41 PM

Oh, Bill, I'm sorry you had to get rid of Charlie and that he got hurt. You had to do what was best for you and them, though.

I'm kind of in the same predicament, but with our pony. He is the dominant one and Stella is at the bottom. He prevents her from going in barn also and he also gets the lion's share of hay when he needs the least amount. I don't have individual stalls nor a small paddock to separate him with. The only pets we've had that I felt had to go were a couple of goats. I've always been the type who gets an animal with the intention of having it for life, but this pony has just become a thorn in my side.

iridehorses 03-23-2009 03:51 PM

Thanks Jen, I know what you mean. Bobo is my "do everything horse" and the others are only there for his company. When Charlie got to the point that Bo couldn't go inside when it was storming, then he had to go. There really wasn't a choice. My priority was with Bobo.

RusticWildFire 03-23-2009 04:42 PM

Aww what an unfortunate situation. It's not right that the others health had to be risked from him, though.

I'm glad he didn't have to go far.