The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I think he's trying to throw me off (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-think-hes-trying-throw-me-24783/)

EnglishriderClaire 03-23-2009 11:16 AM

I think he's trying to throw me off

The horse that i regularly ride is usually lovely and really easy to handle and i really enjoy being on him but recently when im riding him he throws his head down as if he went to eat the grass but he doesnt and he nearly throws me off everytime as he's so strong.
I no when your just standing around the horse will put his head right down to eat and stuff but he never normally does it wen im riding him :?
Is he just playing with me, he can be a bit naughty at times but generally does as he's told but he just wont stop throwing me around the past few weeks!

Help me!

xx chico 03-23-2009 01:08 PM

My pony is a bit of a brat sometimes, he likes to pretend to have an itch, but when he goes to scratch it he just starts munching out on grass lol.

My best advice to you is, keep your leg on at all times, if he's moving forward then he can't stop to put his head down. If you still have trouble try using grass reins?

G and K's Mom 03-23-2009 05:26 PM

Could he be trying to stretch his back?

IheartPheobe 03-23-2009 06:08 PM

If he does that, loosen your reins and just keep riding.
If you try to pull him up, you will come off.

xx chico 03-23-2009 06:23 PM

I find pulling tends to just make them want to pull even more too. The only pulling "trick" I was taught (I never use it though) was the on rein pull.
When he goes to eat or starts to eat, pull up with one rein. I personally don't really like that one though, I find your always catching the horse in the mouth that way. Which is not very nice .. lol

Flyinghigh12 03-23-2009 08:22 PM

I once rode a pony that would do that to the kid all the time. Here's a few things to check... are his teeth and the bit knocking eachother and maybe its hurting so he wants you too loosen off on the reins. Or his gums are bad.
Another thing.. When correcting him I agree don't tighten but kick him in the belly and move him forward. Try to keep him moving, and make sure it has nothing to do with his body first.

farmpony84 03-23-2009 09:05 PM

how heavy handed are you? he may be trying to avoid the bit... but it sounds like he's just being a brat. I have one that does that... it's pretty annoying, wants to rip your arms off.....

Picture Perfect 03-23-2009 10:24 PM

Maybe he is trying to go on the bit...
I rode a horse that did that. I gets really annoying after awhile. I wonder what other people are going to say for advice. :-)

PoptartShop 03-23-2009 10:24 PM

Ah, those bratty days. *rolls eyes* I know how you feel. This horse I ride, Maverick does that once in awhile. Throws his head, yeah. His bit fits him just fine, but I found that once I get him collected & am stronger with my contact he stops. :) He could also very well be stretching his back, as they do that if they need to. I'd keep working with him, don't give up!

EnglishriderClaire 03-24-2009 06:09 AM

Thanks
I kept checking his bit but everything seemed fine maybe he's just decided to be a bit or a horror saying as he's been good most of the time.
I dont usually pull him back to hard on the reins so maybe he thinks im too soft and he can get away with it?
Ill see how he is this weekend