The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Okay so I have a random question?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/okay-so-i-have-random-question-24790/)

mybabysewanka 03-23-2009 12:55 PM

Okay so I have a random question??

Okay so here is the deal... My mare will be foaling in 2 months and I have a camera set up in the barn to see all the action or attempt to lol... And you need a light in the barn A.) Because it makes her more comfortable to stay in the stall with a light and B.) You can see way better in the stall with a light. So my question to those of you that foal in a stall what wattage of light bulb do you like to use? I have a 60 in there now and I personally think it's just to bright... I know this is a random question but I figured I would ask any ways..:-)

Vidaloco 03-23-2009 12:58 PM

I don't have an answer for you other than to do a test run with the camera to see which works better.
I was just wondering if a motion sensor light might work better?
Congratulations on the upcoming arrival too!

mybabysewanka 03-23-2009 01:01 PM

Yea I was thinking about playing with the bulbs I have a motion sensor light on my porch and I dont like those very much.. I just know that 60 is really really bright I know I would be uncomfortable trying to sleep with it..ha..

mls 03-23-2009 02:06 PM

There is no guarantee she will foal at night . . . .

mybabysewanka 03-23-2009 02:10 PM

oh I know that there is no gurantee she will foal at night last time she foaled it was in the middle of the day at 12:00 p.m. I am just asking a personal prefrence for at night when I do have to have a light on. I turn the lights off outside during the day.

Angel_Leaguer 03-23-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 275493)
There is no guarantee she will foal at night . . . .

very true... Chloe has had 5 foals (3 with previous owner and 2 with me) and the two she had with me was early afternoon (like 1-2 pm) and the other three was a mix of day/night.

I would just play with the camera settings and see what works best. Can you possible have a light on the outside of the stall instead of directly in it? It may cast enough light...just a thought.

mybabysewanka 03-23-2009 02:14 PM

yea im probably just going to go buy a 40 watt bulb and see how that works, I just watch mare stare wonderful site! And a lot of ppl on there have them low so I was just wondering the prefrence for any one here

CheyAut 03-23-2009 03:10 PM

Is the cam just on your monitor? I take it it's not infrared...

Many people use those rope lights. They don't emit much light but work great for the cams. However, I don't know if that's just with infrared cams or not.

My cams work great on my monitor with no light on (infrared) but on marestare, for some reason they need light. Less than 75 wats just doesn't work :( So it's bright in there, but brightness is better than loosing a foal and/or mare because she couldn't be seen (I work graveyard so need to watch via marestare at work).

I say try different bulbs and see what the lowest you can get away with is. Good luck on your foaling! :)

mybabysewanka 03-23-2009 03:33 PM

Okay my question has been answered thanks....... Not sure how to delete threads you start. but my problems solved....