The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Breeding (/horse-breeding/)
- - Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/thinking-about-buying-mare-foal-but-247905/)
Thinking about buying a mare in foal, but...
Just bouncing this off the community as this is-for the moment anyway-hypothetical until I get some more information. Sorry for the novel, but I'm trying ot give you folks all the info you need to make suggestions.
There is a mare I am thinking about buying. The mare is in foal to a stud with many championships with a late Jan 2014 due date so it's not like a backyard breeding thing. I don't want the foal as I am really not interested in raising or training one, mostly because I haven't the experience. I wouldn't normally look twice at a mare in foal to buy but this mare seems to be everything I am looking for in my next horse, nice temperament, well rounded, lightly shown and well trained.
Now, the seller did tell me she would consider taking the foal back, with a corresponding drop in the sale price for this mare. My trainer is quite experienced at breeding/foaling out and she assures me that really it wouldn't be that hard. She stands her own stud and has four on the ground already this year. In fact my trainer thinks I should consider keeping the foal given the quality breeding to either raise or sell myself...I'm not sure on that point yet. Bottom line is that I have a place with experienced people to foal out the mare and help me along the way.
Anyway, I'm sure other people here have done something similar. How have you worked that out? I know we'd need a decent contract and insurance on the horse but should the mare go back to the seller to foal out (so that any imprinting, etc would be done by them) or did you folks foal them out and then make the exchange once the foal was weaned. How about costs, who should cover what vet bills? Also, any general advice would be appreciated.
Note: I'd rather not give out too much info on the mare because she isn't mine but the stud can be found here:
I don't do halter, but the stud seems to be rather well campaigned and I would think if I kept the foal he/she would be rather easy to sell, again my trainer/best buddy is very experienced at that and would be helping me out should I decide to just buy her outright. But I do worry about that, given how soft the market is right now and I don't see that improving anytime soon.
Just remember that you can talk about it logically now, but keep in mind that after the foal is born it will be around for at least 4 months till it is weaned, and you are going to get mighty attached to it...:wink:
Well that's true enough LOL, but honestly I haven't the skill nor the time to put into one that young. The gal who is selling has decided to keep the mare at my trainer's place for a month's brushing up so I will get a really good opportunity to get to know her. I'm sure I'll know rather quickly whether or not the mare will be worth the hassle.
Probably not much help here, as I've not experienced this - I'm sure many have, however! My thought is to go with your absolute gut feeling about the situation, and yes, a very good idea to have a contract written. I can't help but to ask, (thinking of what Jan. is like up here), but is the breeder also located in MI? Maybe you guys are further south... The very best of luck in your decision - sounds exciting for you! :)
I say if you really want the mare then go for it.
in the sales you can always have that if you do decide to sell the foal then you will go to the mares owner first before selling. that way you have an out. it wont just be youre giving the foal back with not options and you have a potential home if you do decide not to keep it.
Owning a green horse, stallion or horse with difficult behaviour is a different story. You definitely need the training and experience for that.
most mares have no issues foaling and foals do not take that much time until they are trained under saddle. Most training sessions with a foal should be short 15-30 minutes . Their attention span is not very long.
if you want the mare and the foal is that well bred why not buy the mare and sell the foal as a weanling?
The market is improving in the horse industry and a good foal at a reasonable price that is marketed as such should find a good home. I have never had a problem selling a good horse.
Good luck . Shalom
Well, the mare arrives at my trainer's barn today so I will get to see her and watch others work with her-I'm still limited physically as I'm only 3 weeks out from having my knee replaced so I'm sidelined for a few weeks yet.
Thanks to all for the replies!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.