The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse swallowed a plastic bag! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-swallowed-plastic-bag-help-247985/)

LoveDressage 08-04-2013 10:30 AM

My horse swallowed a plastic bag! Help!

Hi everyone! So it happened 48 hours ago, I called the vet and she arrived 2 hours after it, but there's nothing we can do because he hadn't collic to go for surgery. He looks fine but no signs of plastic in his faeces which worries me a lot. He hasn't been eating (on purpose), just a little grass in the morning and evening (recommended by the vet) and he's drinking water with oil. I'm getting really worried, what do you think what else can I do?

tlkng1 08-04-2013 10:46 AM

At this point observe and wait unfortunately. Has he been outside at all where he may have already passed the bag? It is likely to pass intact as plastic bags aren't likely to break down into small pieces.

I say this as I was at a barn with a horse that did the same thing..the bag passed in its entirety without the horse having any issues.

Good luck...and please keep us updated.

LoveDressage 08-04-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 3252601)
At this point observe and wait unfortunately. Has he been outside at all where he may have already passed the bag? It is likely to pass intact as plastic bags aren't likely to break down into small pieces.

I say this as I was at a barn with a horse that did the same thing..the bag passed in its entirety without the horse having any issues.

Good luck...and please keep us updated.

Thank you! Do you remember how many hours/days it took to pass in?

tlkng1 08-04-2013 11:14 AM

I was trying to remember but I am thinking it was overnight...that is why I was wondering of perhaps yours had been outside and he passed it without you knowing.

LoveDressage 08-04-2013 11:26 AM

No he hasn't been out, we've been watching him 24/7 in his stall :-(

GreySorrel 08-04-2013 08:39 PM

How hard it is to watch and wait....I would say, keep an eye on the color of his gums, make sure he is drinking, and I would think if the oil is in his water, I know my picky equines wouldn't drink, can you put it in his grain? May be more palatable to him. Will keep fingers crossed here.

KigerQueen 08-05-2013 01:48 AM

When my mare prolapsed my friend (a vet tech) forced oil down her using a syringe. If he wont eat oil you could always try that.

Trinity3205 08-05-2013 05:26 PM

You all know that food based oils are just metabolized and digested. Only mineral oil will help lube something out. Also, you should only tube mineral oil so it is not aspirated as it is prone to be. Id contact my vet, see what they say and then wait and see. No need t make problems where they dont exist.
Posted via Mobile Device