The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   favorite gait and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/favorite-gait-why-2485/)

lindiak007 07-07-2007 05:46 PM

favorite gait and why?

am novice rider, but I like fast canter ....

What about you? :lol:

Flying B 07-07-2007 06:03 PM

I like to be locked on a cow, you move to the right and then real quick to the left and back right, its a lot of fun.

Friesian Mirror 07-07-2007 10:03 PM

I can't decide between the Foxtrot or the Canter....I love how smooth the Foxtrot is and it's pretty quick and very easy to ride bareback, but I love the Canter too it's fast and pretty comfortable. Can I choose both? :D

GallopAway 07-07-2007 10:52 PM

Gallop.

And any of the Paso Fino gaits.

kristy 07-10-2007 06:07 PM

It depends on the horse. I usually love cantering though, just because it feels so free. On more western type horses with less suspension, I like jogging. On dressage type horses such as my mare, I love her walk. She just glides. He trot is extremely bouncy and the canter is yet to be established. :wink:

But, overall, I guess I'd say the canter.

crackrider 07-18-2007 12:11 AM

It depends on the horse for me! If a horse has a nice smooth rocking canter then i like to canter but if a horse has a really nice big and even strided trot i like that too. And who doesn't like a good gallop now and then!!!!! :D

Eventer Gal 07-18-2007 12:52 AM

It does depend on the horse-defintally. On my quarab i prefer the canta-it is like a rocking chair SO COMFY! And on Coug it is defintally the walk! His gallop is good to ! But if i am in a lazy mood i defintally look forward to Cougars rhymatic walk---so relaxing!! Trot WAY to boucy and his canta is real uphill. On flat ground it still feels like you are cantaring up a hill!

Juptier 07-18-2007 07:01 PM

i love to canter. My old horse we'd go to a field and run and i'd let him choose the direction as long as he ran and he would get sooooo excited when i took him out there :D

desperate horsewife 07-19-2007 02:30 AM

The trot, without a doubt. Although I ride western, I can post along so that no matter how bouncy a ride, it's still a good ride :wink: Most of my horses seem to enjoy the trot most as well; it's a nice forward motion that they can keep up for long distances.

kitten_Val 07-19-2007 11:32 AM

One of my horses with very short legs as smooth as gaited. But other one with long legs is really bumpy. I have problems to hold on even on walk bareback (keep sliding around lol!).