The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Why are they putting me through such pain? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/why-they-putting-me-through-such-24861/)

StormyBlues 03-24-2009 07:50 PM

Why are they putting me through such pain?

Well my trainer is having a camp this week and her daughter is helping teach it. Today they said I was sitting to hard in the saddle and put my sturrips uop about 5 or more holes and wouldn't let me touch the saddle much. It is supper pain ful and Blue really doesn't like it either, beacause she likes feeling me on her back and knowing I'm there. Why are they making me do this?

xx chico 03-24-2009 07:56 PM

My old coach used to make me do that, he said it would help me develop certin muscles and such. I don't know if thats all that true though lol.

Sounds like a case of tough love though. Unless there making you do other nasty things lol.

Flyinghigh12 03-24-2009 08:09 PM

Maybe their trying to make you put ur weight into you're sturrips not you're saddle. That might be what their getting at. I'd ask!

Stepher 03-24-2009 08:32 PM

Definitely ask! I have never heard of that! If you need to lighten up your seat, you shouldnt have to shorten your stirrups, you need to learn how to feel how to lighten your seat. LOL, i hope this made sense. Im super tired...

bgood400 03-24-2009 08:49 PM

They are trying to get you to put your weight into your stirrups. If you were being too hard on your horses back I'm sure the horse would rather have your stirrups up. It can be really hard to push all your weight into your stirrups instead of letting the horse take it but it will make you a better rider.

Equuestriaan 03-25-2009 09:37 AM

Don't worry so much about the pain. You'll get through it. =) There are a lot of painful exercises you do when you're learning, but keep in mind that they're only to make you a better rider and be easier on your horse.

mls 03-25-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 276390)
Well my trainer is having a camp this week and her daughter is helping teach it. Today they said I was sitting to hard in the saddle and put my sturrips uop about 5 or more holes and wouldn't let me touch the saddle much. It is supper pain ful and Blue really doesn't like it either, beacause she likes feeling me on her back and knowing I'm there. Why are they making me do this?

What type of saddle? What type of riding are you doing?

Spastic_Dove 03-25-2009 03:23 PM

Sounds like they are trying to get you to strengthen your leg and become lighter in your seat (Get your weight in your stirrups).
Are they asking you to 2 point? Or are you standing out of the saddle? I'm trying to picture it in my head..

StormyBlues 03-25-2009 08:35 PM

I'm doing jumping in a jumping saddle. They are having me stand up out of the saddle at the canter and go into two point over5 jumps. Today was alot better, maybe because we were jumping higher and more and I could feel a difference. I did fall in the mud after the oxer though, lol it was HISTARICAL!:lol: