The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Whips :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whips-24877/)

ratlover 03-24-2009 11:03 PM

Whips :(

:cry: I think that whips are cruel.

How would we like to be whipped? It's hardly fair to whip horses.:-(

Does anybody agree, and if not, why not?

Would love to hear some opinions on this.:-(

horseluver50 03-24-2009 11:58 PM

I agree that they can be cruel if you use them wrongly.
Sometimes.. you dont even use the whip, when the horse knows its there they listen better.
Like in lunging.. you have the long lunge whip, but you dont hit them with it.

I think its cruel in horse racing and stuff ( I dont like horse racing)... and if you repetitively hit them with it.. but other than that.. it is more of an aid

Britt 03-25-2009 12:27 AM

They're cruel if used wrongly... and I'll admit, I've used a whip wrongly before on my mare before I really understood much about horseback riding/care and stuff... but at least now if she's acting up, all I have to do is ACT like I'm going to break a switch and she calms right down because she remembers the first time I ever laid a whip to her hindquarters.

If they're used right, I think they're fine.

I, for one, will not hesitate to pop a horse HARD across the hindquarters/back/shoulder/neck if they threaten me. I've raised welts on a horses rear more than once by laying a whip to them, but only if they threaten my own welfare by 'rushing' me, kicking at me, or something like that. Most times, it only took once and the horse learned that it wasn't supposed to do that.

It may seem cruel, but if it keeps me alive...

I will not, however, whip a horse for nothing. In the years that I've owned horses I'm glad to say that I've learned a lot more than I knew back then when I first got my mare and I'm very glad to say that I can keep a wrap on my temper now.

If a horse refuses something they've done a thousand times or more, I'll pop them, but if it's something they're not used to, I only tap them to encourage them to move on forwrds and 'face their fears'.

That's my take on it, anyway...

Miss Katie 03-25-2009 12:30 AM

Australia is in the proccess of bringing in a new set of rules regarding whips in racing. Bout freakin time.

I like whips if used correctly. They can be very helpful. And personally, I would never use a xc course of any level or jumps higher than 80cm without carrying one. I love my dressage whip, although I rarly carry it, its great to have on off days when I need her to focus on me. Like Horsluver said, you dont need to hit the horse with them for them to e of use.

jessetjames 03-25-2009 12:39 AM

i like using crops i eather A flash them and they horse will respond or if she is being a strait up B* she can use a spanking every know and then to let her know she wont get away with it. also i carry a whip if she gets on the skits a frantic side because she knows im carrying one so she will calm right down. but i agree with whips can be terible if used in the wrong way.

LeahKathleen 03-25-2009 02:01 AM

I don't mind popping a horse on the hind once if he is doing something absolutely unacceptable. It only takes once though, and it only stings for a bit - I've had someone hit me with a horse whip on my "hind," as hard as I would pop the horse for discipline just to see.

I use one when lunging, but only as an aid. I never touch them with it. I'll also use it move the horses from one paddock to another, as an aid. It makes me seems much bigger than I am, and they listen a bit better in a group.

You shouldn't beat your horse, but as an aid or a disciplinary device, I think it's ok - so long as your horse isn't -injured- in the process.

ridingismylife2 03-25-2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahKathleen (Post 276644)
I don't mind popping a horse on the hind once if he is doing something absolutely unacceptable. It only takes once though, and it only stings for a bit - I've had someone hit me with a horse whip on my "hind," as hard as I would pop the horse for discipline just to see.

You shouldn't beat your horse, but as an aid or a disciplinary device, I think it's ok - so long as your horse isn't -injured- in the process.

same here.. and u also gotta remember that horses have much thicker skin than us :) i hate when people abuse whips though and constantly smack their horses with it but a small tap (or a lil bit harder) isn't bad :)

1dog3cats17rodents 03-25-2009 06:45 AM

Used right, I don't see them as cruel. A dressage whip is basically used like your leg would be too guide the horse and tell it what you want, and crops, well when you've ridden a horse slow enough to turn a 2 stride into a five stride then you've got to love them!. Besides, usually all you need to do is carry them, or give a light tap and the horse gets the idea. One tap has got to be nicer then a rider constantly thumping the horses side because he's sooooo slow.

Equuestriaan 03-25-2009 08:40 AM

A whip isn't cruel when used to reinforce your leg. Used in the wrong way it's ineffective and cruel, but if you're using it for the right reasons and at the right times... it's no worse than a spur and is only used when your initial aids don't get through.

close2prfct 03-25-2009 10:00 AM

Used correctly they work well for training aids I don't believe in being cruel and giving your horse a real lashing. A slight tap on a pawing leg, a quick swat on the hind end is fine. Also the sound of a whip is usually enough to get a horses attention like "what was that?" Horses are like kids some need more discipline than others one you may be able to simply say NO to and they stop others need a physical reminder bad behavior will not be tolerated but as with anything over doing it is cruel and abusive