The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Running and Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/running-riding-248801/)

emzray21 08-05-2013 02:41 PM

Running and Riding

I run high school track and cross country in addition to riding and my coach has been bugging me to quit riding (no way that is happening) because he says it messes up my knees. Does anyone have any experience with the affects of riding on running or know what I can say to get him to leave me alone?

GamingGrrl 08-05-2013 03:57 PM

If anything, running is going to be way harder on your knees and joints than riding will ever be.
I'd politely ask him to leave you alone, and if he pushes after that, bring it up with the principal or superintendent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hang on Fi 08-05-2013 04:29 PM

I agree with GamingGrrl.

It's your life, not his. You enjoy riding, stand up for what you enjoy.

Both riding AND running are hard on your knees. My knees at 24 are trashed from years and years of riding. Doesn't help a four year old mare broke my knee a couple years ago, but it can be strenuous on your body.

'Course I'm a thick rider, so I'm sure between walking with my weight and riding, hastens the trauma to my knees. Regardless, both will wear/tear down your knees eventually.

alexischristina 08-05-2013 05:04 PM

A high school coach has no reason to pester you to quit any other hobby, if they don't lay off I'd definitely be talking to a 'higher up' or having a parent call in.

katieandscooby 08-06-2013 06:20 PM

My knee is buggered because of running and volleyball. I quit Volleyball just so I could keep riding, 25 yrs old and my right knee is so bad that a full day of hard riding in the hills I literally have to be pulled off my horse and lay on the ground for half an hour before I can start hobbling around.

Isn't as bad when I am in good riding shape, and I have noticed that with my spinning last winter that it has gotten stronger, but when I run I sure notice it hurting sooner rather then later.

And I agree with the pestering comments. Coach has no reason to pester you about a hobby like riding.

beau159 08-06-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamingGrrl (Post 3263825)
If anything, running is going to be way harder on your knees and joints than riding will ever be.

Posted via Mobile Device

This.

And that's exactly what I'd tell your coach, because he knows it's the truth. When he denies it, ask him to give you a copy of the research that proves riding is harder on your knees than running, and then walk away.

I can ride all day long with little knee or ankle pain.

But if I so much as pick up a jog to go for a run, instant left knee pain. (Big thanks to genetics for a family of bad knees.)

I will not be convinced riding is harder on your knees than running,.. because it's not.