The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critique TWH

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Elana 
#1 ·
Rain is 9yo Spotted TWH. I will have her for 2 years come october. When we bought her she was severly toed out. Her knees and pasturns hit when she walked. We have been working hard to help correct this problem as it was both a conformation issue and a neglect issue. We have almost got her joints completely realligned so she wont get much straighter than this. We did decide to pull her shoes so she is currently barefoot. As long as she stays sound we are going to try and keep her barefoot.

Critique her conformation/muscling, whatever you like. I have literally just started working her. She has spent a total of 3 years out in a pasture. Almost 2 years with me and over a year with the previous owner. I have started light ground work with her going over slightly raised poles and mostly working get her to move her feet when asked.

I am also curious if anyone has any opinions on a weight load for her? She is about 14.1hh. I have never delt with the toes out problem and because I havent put a lot of work into her I dont really know if this will limit her or not. Sense I have started working her I am using support boots. These are both for the added support but mainly just incase she hits her legs together which so far I have not seen her do.

Thanks guys!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I won't even pretend to know diddly-squat about conformation, but to answer your weight load question, I'm about 5'3, 145lbs and rode a 14.2 ArabianxQH cross western with no problem while he was at my barn. I guess it depends on how much muscling the horse has (he was cute, but a little funky because he had an arabian head, but a QH butt), and I really don't know how serious an issue toeing out is, but you can use that to gauge yourself I suppose?

#4 ·
Has she foundered? Those front hooves look "wavy" with long toes. Whew! What a project you have!! She's a pretty color though- I'll bet the (ah hem) "breeder" is one of the many out there breeding for color at the expense of functional soundness and conformation.

#5 ·
She hasnt foundered sense we have had her. We changed her diet back in November of 2012 but other than that there have been no changes in her diet. Her feet tend to bulge in that area. Even though the new growth is growing down like its suppose and doesnt show rings once it gets to a certain spot on her hoof it starts bulging and showing rings agains. Im not sure why or how to prevent it. We recently kicked our farrier to the curb because he was 3 weeks late on them and then the second time he was due to come out he did it again! I told him I couldnt wait that I would just have my husband do it.

#9 ·
The horse put up by the OP is one I hesitated to critique as noted on my other post.

She is built very down hill and is a weedy sort of animal. She has light bone and is back at the knee. Her hind quarters are weak and she is sickle hocked. Her front feet toe out with the rotation starting up high in the chest. The rotation actually takes a second twist at the fetlock joint. The weight is carried on the inside of the hoof. The front hooves themselves are flat and splayed.

#10 ·
Except my geldings front legs do not do that. And my farrier is coming this week for a good trim for him. Like I said I only got him 2 days ago. The mare is in better weight than my gelding is at the moment :/
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
hisangelonly, The critique was of the OP's (twosexy4myspots) horse, not your horse.

To critique your horse on this thread would support having it hijacked.

I critiqued your horse in your thread.

Reactions: DuffyDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.