The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Wormer ... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wormer-24887/)

kchfuller 03-25-2009 01:51 AM

Wormer ...

What do you feel is the "best" wormer to use and can you order it online?

I have used a few different kinds but wanted to see what you all like, thanks!

Peggysue 03-25-2009 09:50 AM

the AAEP new stuff says Ivermectin year roudn with a sprint and summer does of one that covers bots and tapes :)

You can get generic ivermectin from about any onlin store the two cheapest I have found are Country supply and jeffers :)

kchfuller 03-25-2009 12:02 PM

Thanks Peggysue!

mls 03-25-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 276766)
the AAEP new stuff says Ivermectin year roudn with a sprint and summer does of one that covers bots and tapes :)

Do you have the link? I get the newsfeed and have not seen this. Could not locate it on the AAEP site either.

Peggysue 03-25-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 276842)
Do you have the link? I get the newsfeed and have not seen this. Could not locate it on the AAEP site either.

The AAEP has a question and answer section regarding deworming:
http://www.aaep.org/ask_the_vet_questions.php?category_id=81

Scroll down to Question 11.

Your wish is my command :-P

Ryle 03-26-2009 10:22 AM

But just be very aware, the vet also says that the old every 6-8 weeks program isn't the best for every horse. Rather than just shoving paste down our horses at regularly scheduled intervals, we need to look at what kind of risk factors there are in their situation for reinfection and each individual horse's resistance to parasites to plan a deworming program for THAT horse. Strategic deworming programs are now the recommendation.

And just to clarify, even though ivermectin is currently effective and so can be used as the main drug in a deworming program we still need to limit it's use to only when necessary. This is because frequent use leads to increased risk of the parasites developing a resistance to it. And this is already starting----a study done in KY last year showed that strongyles on one farm were resistant to ivermectin.

mls 03-26-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryle (Post 277463)

And just to clarify, even though ivermectin is currently effective and so can be used as the main drug in a deworming program we still need to limit it's use to only when necessary. This is because frequent use leads to increased risk of the parasites developing a resistance to it. And this is already starting----a study done in KY last year showed that strongyles on one farm were resistant to ivermectin.

Yes.

The AAEP site does not say rotating is not necessary.It says "To date, ivermectin resistance has not been noted for any of the major parasite in adult horses, so rotating may not actually be necessary"

MAY is an important word. The information is also from 2007. Several studies and advances since then.

county 03-26-2009 11:08 AM

I buy liquid generic Ivermictin and use it on both my cattle and horses.

close2prfct 03-26-2009 11:52 AM

What about the daily feed through wormers? I have 2 that put up quite a fight trying to use paste and since I have to do it by myself I've thought about the daily feed through type but wasn't for sure how effective it was or about the resistance level for parasites

kitten_Val 03-26-2009 12:11 PM

I use Zimmertin Gold once year in summer against tape worms, and Ivermectin and either Safe Guard or Exodus other times (every 2 months). Just buying it from horse.com or jeffersequine.com