The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   having problems with our new quarter horse (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/having-problems-our-new-quarter-horse-248889/)

dustinwhite87 08-05-2013 06:53 PM

having problems with our new quarter horse

We just bought a 2 year old quarter horse. She does fine around us, and walks just fine.. My girlfriend has ridden her twice and both times has gotten thrown off the horse.. She will walk, then all of sudden take off running and bucking.. Whats going on? Anyother time she is just chilled and loves to be pet.. Shes a little skittish around fast movements.. Please help me.

GamingGrrl 08-05-2013 06:59 PM

She's 2. She shouldn't be ridden, until she is at least 3, preferably 4.

What's your horse experience? What's this horse's training level?

My advice is to get a trainer or an experienced knowledgeable horse person to help you.
Posted via Mobile Device

dustinwhite87 08-05-2013 07:05 PM

Well me personally im not very experinced.. My girlfriend is experinced. We just got it saturday.. So why does she walk just fine for awhile and then just starts bucking?

Saskia 08-05-2013 07:07 PM

I'd imagine that she hasn't been broken in correctly. Do you know who did her training and what they did? Contacting them would be my first step to discover if this is an ongoing problem or something recent.

If it's recent then I'd look at the rider, or a physical problem. Two year olds can tend to be narrow and you might have trouble getting a saddle to fit right.

She's very young, needs an experienced rider, and probably some time off too. I know I wouldn't think of riding a horse until they're three, however many western riders do ride younger. If it were me I'd probably turn her out until she's three and then send her away to be re-broken.

dustinwhite87 08-05-2013 07:08 PM

when we bought her they told us that she has been ridden a bit but not to much.. She knows the basic commands.. Like back up, whoa, she knows giddy up.. and all that is done from the halter.. But with the reigns in her mouth she wont turn left, but she will go right.. YOu say whoa and she just keeps going

dustinwhite87 08-05-2013 07:11 PM

I dont think any body trained her. The guy got her from some where a couple months ago, they acted like they didnt know anything about her.. We have 3 different saddles.. She wont even lift her leg up for us to see her hoofes.. We need to get them trimmed.

katbalu 08-05-2013 07:13 PM

Sounds like she's just a young inexperienced horse. Time to mature, and after that, some miles put on her by an experienced rider/trainer is probably a good solution to your problem. Perhaps find an experienced trainer to put a good foundation on her?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 08-05-2013 07:39 PM

She is too young to be ridden and she is not trained. Before this horse develops serious problems and hurts herself and others, tell your g/f to get off of her. Next year send her to a trainer that can train the horse & your g/f so no more bucking episodes occur.

rideverystride 08-05-2013 08:10 PM

You and the horse both sound very inexperienced. Please get help before you teach this horse bad habits.....

dustinwhite87 08-05-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rideverystride (Post 3265313)
You and the horse both sound very inexperienced. Please get help before you teach this horse bad habits.....

Posted via Mobile Device