The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   calvin wont take the bit. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/calvin-wont-take-bit-24897/)

appy rider 4 life 03-25-2009 10:14 AM

calvin wont take the bit.

Here is another question that has to do with Calvin. he will not take the bit in his mouth. my friend bought him for a girl that used him in dressage so i figured maybe she hurt his mouth that way. because i have heard that if you hurt there mouth they will not want to take the bit. she says his teeth are fine but i keep telling her she needs to have them check. any advice on what to do??

G and K's Mom 03-25-2009 12:13 PM

See the couple of threads below this one. In the last week there have been 2 or 3 threads about bits.

rosie9r 03-25-2009 12:14 PM

When was his last float? If you can rule out pain then I move to what kind of bit is she using? How does she bit him up, is it nice without teeth banging or just shoved in there?

If you can rule out pain, just go back to basics. You can try putting molasses on the bit or using bit wraps called Lickity Bits to make the bit taste like a treat.

appy rider 4 life 03-25-2009 02:31 PM

I never thought about that!!! you are good rosie9r!!

mls 03-25-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appy rider 4 life (Post 276744)
my friend bought him for a girl that used him in dressage so i figured maybe she hurt his mouth that way.

Are you saying that riding a horse in dressage hurts the horses mouth???

Brumby 03-25-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie9r (Post 276800)
When was his last float? If you can rule out pain then I move to what kind of bit is she using? How does she bit him up, is it nice without teeth banging or just shoved in there?

If you can rule out pain, just go back to basics. You can try putting molasses on the bit or using bit wraps called Lickity Bits to make the bit taste like a treat.

Were can you get those?

Spastic_Dove 03-25-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brumby (Post 276904)
Were can you get those?

Lickity Bits™ - Products

Equuestriaan 03-26-2009 11:30 AM

Remember, if he's not opening up you can slip your thumb into the back of his mouth and press on the roof of his mouth, and he should open up. =)

appy rider 4 life 03-28-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 276887)
Are you saying that riding a horse in dressage hurts the horses mouth???

NO!! not be any means!! i was saying that he is a ex dressage horse and he had a young rider and she could have hurt him some how by doing that. :-|