The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   HELP with a Hard Keeper & a HayBell/Ribby Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/help-hard-keeper-haybell-ribby-horse-249337/)

KayleePodus 08-06-2013 01:41 PM

HELP with a Hard Keeper & a HayBell/Ribby Horse

3 Attachment(s)
I have an Appaloosa Stallion who gets fed:
1 Quart of Alfalfa Cubes (Broken Down)
4 Quarts 12:12 (12 fat: 12 Protien)
And 2 tablespoons CalfMana
TWICE A DAY
Along with 3/4 a bale of hay twice a day.

He's still ribby and he's not even breeding. He is also up to date on worming.

I also have a Quarter Horse/ Paint X who is the complete oposite! He has a hay belly but yet shows some ribs, only like two or three and they arnt bad. Even still, I would like for him to not look so out of shape because of his hay belly. I have heard it could be my hay and that he needs someting for his digestion.
He currently is fed:
2 Quarts of Alfalfa Cubes (Broken Down)
3 Quarts 12:12 (12 fat: 12 Protien)
And 2 tablespoons CalfMana
TWICE A DAY
Along with 1/2 a bale of hay twice a day.

Any help on them would be WONDERFUL! Thanks :)
(Pictures are from a while ago! Not upto date, sorry)

waresbear 08-06-2013 01:48 PM

The Appaloosa looks in good shape, perfect weight, the other picture of the other horse is too small for me to see on my phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

KayleePodus 08-06-2013 01:59 PM

I dont know how to add more pictures.. but the stallion (Kenny) slimmed down a lotttt..
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-06-2013 02:01 PM

From what I can see, I agree with Ware. The appy appears to be in good condition, but there is only so much we can see from a picture.

You say he is UTD on worming, but when is the last time his teeth were floated? Bad teeth can cause an otherwise healthy horse to have a hard time keeping weight.

KayleePodus 08-06-2013 02:04 PM

His teeth we checked and were fine.. I bought him 2 months ago and was all set on everything
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 08-06-2013 02:15 PM

Welcome to the forum .....

loosie 08-12-2013 04:18 AM

Hi, welcome.

Agree with others. Appy looks good, black horse pic is hard to tell. Neither appears to have a hay belly at all.

I'd start by ensuring they're effectively wormed. You may be diligent but sometimes pastes don't cut it.

what is the 12:12 stuff? Is it grain based or otherwise high starch/ sugar? If so I'd consider an alternative that's healthier, more digestible energy, such as beet pulp, rice bran, soy meal/hulls, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

josmundson 08-12-2013 04:25 AM

Tape worm? Most wormers don't cover them.