The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Verbal Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/verbal-horse-25018/)

StormyBlues 03-27-2009 01:13 PM

Verbal Horse?
 
Well, my friend's 21 year old QH gelding was having problems getting over this 2' yellow gate at my trainer's this week. He had jumped it thousands of times before, but he was just refusing! Then, when she started yelling at him about 3 strides out, he jumped it! Can he just understand her better when she yells? Has anyone ever had a horse like this?

CJ82Sky 03-27-2009 02:00 PM

Sounds to me like a pain issue, especially if the horse has never refused before, and then jumped from a very far and awkward distance. That's likely the horse's way of trying to do what is asked w/o further hurting himself. Pain doesn't always manifest itself as lameness, as my Arabian loves to jump, but refused the 2' jump we've done a million times before, and when I made him do it, he reacted similarly to the horse above. Not only did I come off and get pretty seriously injured (knee - will be a while til I can ride again), but he's got a pretty messed up back with a potentially damaged disk that's also affecting his spinal cord (confirming with further vet and chiro).

In my experience when a horse jumps awkwardly or refuses and it's out of character for them (and they are not just a greenie building confidence) it is almost always pain. I'd palpate the back, check saddle fit, and also focus on the hind end as there could be an issue there that's making him not want to rock back and balance and take off properly. Good luck!

StormyBlues 03-27-2009 02:06 PM

he was slightly lame that week, but I was just asking to see if there are any other horses like him out there

farmpony84 03-27-2009 02:16 PM

at 21 I'd say there is a pain issue. I'm with CJ... And as for the verbal commands, if the horse knows it's rider, it'll understand a verbal command, especially if theyve been together for some time...

Not to sound mean, but if a 21 year old horse is lame, I'm not going to jump it during that same week...

StormyBlues 03-27-2009 02:20 PM

Yea, I didn't agree that it was a good idea, but not my call, he was fine after that.

farmpony84 03-27-2009 02:21 PM

No, you are right... not your horse, not your call... just wanted to voice my disagreement w/ that....

1dog3cats17rodents 03-27-2009 07:01 PM

Sounds more like he was startled/scared by the yelling, not that it allowed him to "better understand" his rider.

StormyBlues 03-27-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dog3cats17rodents (Post 278360)
Sounds more like he was startled/scared by the yelling, not that it allowed him to "better understand" his rider.

maybe you misundserstood, he jumped BETTER when she yelled and told him to jump it

Spastic_Dove 03-27-2009 07:52 PM

I don't think he "better understood" anything really.
I think he knew what she wanted, he was just in pain/stubborn, whatever. Probably in pain since you said he was lame and he is getting up there in years. The yell was just like a tap from a crop or nudge with a spur probably.

xx chico 03-27-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ82Sky (Post 278183)
Pain doesn't always manifest itself as lameness, as my Arabian loves to jump, but refused the 2' jump we've done a million times before, and when I made him do it, he reacted similarly to the horse above. Not only did I come off and get pretty seriously injured (knee - will be a while til I can ride again), but he's got a pretty messed up back with a potentially damaged disk that's also affecting his spinal cord (confirming with further vet and chiro).

I've heard that sometimes, if your own back is bad it can create a problem with your horses back as well. Like for instance, I have scoliosis and my pony has some back issues in the same places as I do. Now were both going for treatment :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 278365)
maybe you misundserstood, he jumped BETTER when she yelled and told him to jump it

If he jumped it from a far distance thats not really jumping better, is it? I could be wrong.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0