The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   jumping help? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/jumping-help-25027/)

xpyrrohs 03-27-2009 04:38 PM

jumping help?

Okay, so technically, I've been jumping for about 5 years now, but I haven't really jumped in a while due to Rio getting lame and buying a green horse.. I'm in dire need of help with my position. I'm leaning too far forward, my heals are UP, my shoulders are in the "defensive position" when I go over the jump(its a crossbar -.-) and I don't know where I should put my hands. I don't think it has anything to do with my leg muscles, I've been doing half seat as practice and I do barn chores 2 nights a week(feeding horses, emptying/filling water buckets/troughs)but everytime I go over the jump... I don't know, I just forget and I go into that defensive mode... Toward the end of my lesson yesterday, I finally got my heels down and my shoulders back.. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get my confidence up? I'm not afraid, he can just walk over the jumps cause they're so low, but I don't know what else is wrong. I've been riding almost every single day since we got him(3 months ago), working on my postion and balance on the ground, but it just goes to crap whenever I get to the jump. My hands are actually not bad, I just need to stop pressing on his neck.

Anyways, any suggestions would be lovely!

StormyBlues 03-27-2009 06:35 PM

Put your sturrips up about 4 holes, tie your reins and have someone lunge you in your two point for awhile. It sounds like your muscles arn't there, I thought mine where, and when we put my sturrips up and got my knee in the right angle, I was not strong at all.

1dog3cats17rodents 03-27-2009 08:08 PM

The only thing I can suggest it try two pointing over ground poles, and work on your position (two point eactly how you want to over a jump) Once you can go over those comftorably in good form, have your trainer put it up to the lowest hole as a cross pole and keep going around like nothing has changed. Good luck! It might take a bit, but once your get relaxed I bet it will all come back to you :-)