The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   While in stall my horse goes side to side kinda like shes dancing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/while-stall-my-horse-goes-side-250322/)

sarahhorsecrazy 08-07-2013 11:03 AM

While in stall my horse goes side to side kinda like shes dancing

While i put my arabian in her stall she will go side to side like shes dancing, and she works up a sweat.

I figured its because shes bored, but could this harm her health and how do i make her stop it.

Thanks,

Sarah

NBEventer 08-07-2013 11:04 AM

Sounds like she is weaving. Which can actually cause a lot of joint problems. Sadly there really isn't any way of fixing it other then never having her in a stall.

busysmurf 08-07-2013 11:13 AM

That's weaving, it's usually caused by boredom or nervousness. And like NB said, it can cause serious joint issues. You may want to consider keeping her outside all the time rather than a stall (even if she's only stalled at night).

If that isn't an option, I would look into toys. A lot of times if you take a plastic milk jug & fill it with rocks, then tie it to the ceiling in the corner of her stall, some horses will bat it around like a tether ball. Or even a yoga ball, liter soda bottles, some people buy rollers that attach to the side of the stall.

I seen chronic weavers, who will stop when their owner basically makes their stall like kids playpen. They just needed that constant access to stimulation.

waresbear 08-07-2013 12:14 PM

Yes, sounds like weaving and sometimes other horses in a barn can copy the vice and the whole barn looks like a ballet performance! Amazing to see, when I was a kid, me & my friend saw a barn full of weavers, all dripping in sweat & weaving like lunatics! If it were my horse, I would not stall the horse, a large paddock or a pasture would be my choice & only a stall for emergencies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Elana 08-07-2013 02:05 PM

Weaving is actually an obsessive compulsive disorder and is similar in its origin ("they" think) to cribbing. I am trying to recall a study I read about weaving.. and there was a cure.

I also recall reading that one weaver can make a whole barn of weavers.. but then I also remember reading that might not be true.

Turnout is the answer.. (although there are horses that will weave when outside on a dry lot) and feeding hay in a hay net or rack and having hay in front of the horse all the time (gives them something to do). If I find that research I will share it.

Speed Racer 08-07-2013 02:07 PM

Yep, you have a weaver. I have one too. Only cure is to keep them out as much as possible, as being stalled stresses them out.

Elana 08-07-2013 02:18 PM

Take a look at this stuff:
Recent Advances in the Treatment of Equine Stereotypic Behaviour

And this.. the idea of mirrors is interesting.
01 Behavior Problems in Horses #1 - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

And more about mirros
Weaving in Horses: Another Look | TheHorse.com

And this:
http://vip.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/conten...92/garrett.pdf

sarahhorsecrazy 08-07-2013 07:21 PM

Well the reason why ive been stalling her is because she is getting fat and ive cut back on all her food, and the only other thing i can think of is she is eatting grass in the middle of the night, and its causing her to gain weight.

natisha 08-07-2013 07:24 PM

Do the stalls have solid walls between them? If so maybe bars would be better so the horse can see everyone else & not feel so confined.

natisha 08-07-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahhorsecrazy (Post 3286874)
Well the reason why ive been stalling her is because she is getting fat and ive cut back on all her food, and the only other thing i can think of is she is eatting grass in the middle of the night, and its causing her to gain weight.

Is she alone in the barn?
Maybe a grazing muzzle part of the day or dry lot would benefit.