The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help, Colic Panic! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-colic-panic-250330/)

GreenBackJack 08-07-2013 11:14 AM

Help, Colic Panic!

Help, I've got an old problem with a new twist. When I went out to feed my boys this morning I found the barn destroyed. Reagan, my 17hh drafty sized Bashkir Curly, had gotten into the barn and ravaged the place. I mention his size and breed because he's a big ol' boy and his hooves are like granite. He's 13 and never a colic or founder.

Here is what he ate- I'm growing fodder for them and he LOVES it. I had what would amount to 8 dry cups of barely and wheat in various stages of sprouting. All of it was well into the green stage and some of it was already being fed to them. Mr. Houdini was the only one that got in. The only other grain he got was a cup of dry cob. *I was going to buy a new bag today.

Just in case you're not familiar with growing fodder, the seeds are soaked, bleached, laid in trays and sprouted into greens for feeding. Along the way they are rinsed several times a day to remove the starches as they grow. The cycle is usually complete by day 5 or 6.
These guys had been getting the fodder with grass hay and are on pasture 24/7.

QUESTION: Is this as bad as if he'd gotten into regular dry grains?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or comments!

4hoofbeat 08-07-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenBackJack (Post 3281114)
Help, I've got an old problem with a new twist. When I went out to feed my boys this morning I found the barn destroyed. Reagan, my 17hh drafty sized Bashkir Curly, had gotten into the barn and ravaged the place. I mention his size and breed because he's a big ol' boy and his hooves are like granite. He's 13 and never a colic or founder.

Here is what he ate- I'm growing fodder for them and he LOVES it. I had what would amount to 8 dry cups of barely and wheat in various stages of sprouting. All of it was well into the green stage and some of it was already being fed to them. Mr. Houdini was the only one that got in. The only other grain he got was a cup of dry cob. *I was going to buy a new bag today.

Just in case you're not familiar with growing fodder, the seeds are soaked, bleached, laid in trays and sprouted into greens for feeding. Along the way they are rinsed several times a day to remove the starches as they grow. The cycle is usually complete by day 5 or 6.
These guys had been getting the fodder with grass hay and are on pasture 24/7.

QUESTION: Is this as bad as if he'd gotten into regular dry grains?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or comments!

Its sprouts? much like what we would put on a salad? right? I just want to make sure i'm reading this right.

I dont know much about feeding them to horses, but wouldn't it just be like him getting out onto spring pasture?

I was thinking of trying this for my guy. Something new to give him that would be easy for him to chew.

I"m sorry i'm not much help. but all i can think of it's not much different than getting grass... just more nutritious.

and what is dry cob?

GreenBackJack 08-07-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks for replying 4hoofbeat!
That's kind of what I was thinking too, that's it's more like grass than grain.
It is very much like the salad sprouts we would eat, just with barley, wheat etc. The reason I was concerned at all was because there are still "seeds" attached. Well at least they still look like seeds anyway but green sprouts growing out of them. LOL The horses do eat the whole thing and it's something like 80 or 90% digestable and with a high water content as well. It's a lot more nutritious and yeah, all that "food of the gods" type stuff. hehe

I've only just started growing it this summer. So far it's been awesome! They love it and it's super easy to do once you work out your own system. Your guy could most certainly chew it with ease. The sprouts form a thick mat with the greens on top and you feed the entire thing to them. You can mix seeds to get the variety and balance that you'd like for him. Like I said, I'm a big fan of it and so are the horses. I'm just wondering how I can expand my operation to keep that hungry cow of mine in sprouts at the level he'd like to become accustomed. LOL
Oh, and dry cob is just split, flattened corn without molassas.

waresbear 08-07-2013 12:22 PM

So basically he ate 8 cups of growing grain? It was growing, so it is full of moisture so that 8 cups when dried would be about 3 cups or less dried. If it were my horse, I won't worry but I would make sure the hog couldn't get at it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenBackJack 08-07-2013 12:33 PM

Thanks Waresbear!
Yes, it was definitely growing and full of moisture. The 8 cups is the dry measurement. I don't actually know what it weighs once sprouted and watery.
At this point I just pull out X amount of dry seed and then spread it out on the trays after a soaking.

Thank you for the reassurance! I'd just hate for him to get sick. And yes, we will have to stop enabling his deliquency.

waresbear 08-07-2013 01:18 PM

Ahhh okay, I understand now, he ate a bunch of forage that was started from 8 cups of seed. That still isn't a whole lot for a big horse and since it was in growing plant form & not dry, he had a tasty snack. I would only worry if he got into an acre of that rich forage & gourged himself, that little bit probably won't even give him a runny poop!
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenBackJack 08-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 3282306)
Ahhh okay, I understand now, he ate a bunch of forage that was started from 8 cups of seed. That still isn't a whole lot for a big horse and since it was in growing plant form & not dry, he had a tasty snack. I would only worry if he got into an acre of that rich forage & gourged himself, that little bit probably won't even give him a runny poop!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea! Thank you!
Very relieved to hear that. Stupid smart horse. grr. The little punk had actually managed to lift the latch and slide the stall door open. Sheesh!
I just put up a metal gate separating the hay and fodder section from the grains and seeds section. I'm plan on posting armed gaurds later this week. :shock: