The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Had so much fun today! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/had-so-much-fun-today-25093/)

Flyinghigh12 03-28-2009 09:56 PM

Had so much fun today!

So today was the nicest day of the year so far!

I went riding and rode cheyenne in the indoor arena. We did some sitting trot, which went pretty good. Then did some loping. I think stuck a barrel up at the other end of the arena and then walked her back to the other side. As soon as we turned around she started acting really scared of that side, so I took her over there on foot.. and got her to calm down at what ever it was.. it wasn't the barrel. I then practiced trotting down to the barrel, turning around it and trotting back. She was still scared but did do it. It was hard getting her to lope to the other side, but we tried it anyway. After a while she got pretty comfortable. Then I decided to take her saddle off and bring her to the step up. I rubbed her back and then put my leg over. Got on then after standing there for a bit we starting walking down the arena. It was so awsome! I love this horse!! I could feel more when she got tense and stuff and I could feel us working more as a team! I can't wait till the next nice day!! haha.

aruraeclipse 03-28-2009 10:01 PM

Its always very nice when you have a nice day to work with them, I'm very happy that you got to experience that today. Congrats! I have to start working with my horses when I feel better. I can't wait. Today was really nice where I'm at too!

Starlight 03-29-2009 05:06 PM

FUN! Im happy to here that it went well!

Flyinghigh12 03-29-2009 10:20 PM

Thanks!

I went riding again today this time with a friend. We first went in the arena and my sitting trot is getting SO much better haha. Then we went for a trail ride, the sun was setting and it got really cold I was frozen, haha. Everything went great, we even passed a person with two dogs and the horses didn't seem to mind at all. Cheyenne's really good with going through puddles and stuff too. Other then the cold it was another good day! haha.

PoptartShop 03-30-2009 02:00 AM

I love those days too- it's a great feeling, making progress! :D Glad you had a good time, those days are the best. :) That is just awesome.

Walkamile 03-30-2009 05:58 PM

Glad you've had a good day! Keep us posted on your progress.:-)

aruraeclipse 03-30-2009 10:04 PM

means your doing it right when you make progress! Congrats! I love working with horses when they want to learn as much as you want to teach them!!! Its sooo funn!!!!!

Flyinghigh12 03-31-2009 09:06 PM

So my horse has now been moved to my coach's and I won't see her till the weekend.. kinda sad cause I can't ride her now :( lol.
She acted really good that day though, she wanted to jump into the trailer, haha. It was awsome, I had to stick my saddle in there though so she had to wait at the door. My coach said when she got there she unloaded her and stuck her in her pen (she gets quarentined from the other horses so nothing gets spread around). She said she never whinnied or anything to the other horses just ate haha.
So once I'm there I'll start updating you guy's on how thats going. I'm suppose to start my job so I'll be cleanin the tack room and getting the round pen ready and stuff.. but I'll still work with cheyenne everyday I can. I'm excited we're suppose to start jumping, but I also wanna practice barrel racing and stuff with her too. I'm not sure what to start first..
Should I start practicing jumping with her and just do that for a while?

Or should I practice jumping in my lessons and once in a while on my own and do barrel racing on my own?

I'm not really sure I want to get barrel racing and poll bending down because I want to compete with her in the rodeo we have the first weekend in august. I also want to show this year with her, just flat classes, and probably a trail class.

Any advice?

Flyinghigh12 04-04-2009 08:37 PM

I got to ride today!!

I worked her on the lunge line, and when I'd ask her for a lope she would sometime buck, sometimes just go really fast. So after a while of working her and when she finally started to listen to me I decided to go for a ride. My coach came with me. Me and Cheyenne lead the way back which was really new for her but after a bit she did really good! I also jumped on her bareback after words.
I had fun, and Wednesday I start working for her.