The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Ground tying? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ground-tying-25100/)

Wallaby 03-28-2009 11:33 PM

Ground tying?

How would I go about teaching Lacey to ground tie? I kinda started today by filling my pocket with grain and then dropping the lead rope and walking a step away then coming right back to her head before she had a chance to move, saying "good girl!" and giving her a little grain then picking up the lead rope again, saying "ok" and walking off somewhere else with her (I decided to pretend like she was a big dog that I was training to stay). She was actually doing extremely well by the time I was done (we practiced for about 15 minutes) I walked a complete circle around her with her only movement being her head as she watched me. She seemed pretty proud of herself so I'm thinking I might have hit upon something she feels she can do for once. =D Am I doing it right?

LeahKathleen 03-29-2009 01:46 AM

I think that as long as the technique works (and is humane of course!) for the horse and rider, you can't be doing it "wrong." :]

smrobs 03-29-2009 02:30 AM

Hey, if that works, then keep at it. Just keep increasing your distance and the time you stay away from her and you'll do great.

CopperHorse 03-29-2009 08:35 AM

If you treat her each time when you approach her, she may come to expect it all the time. So just alternate a good petting with the treat/grain and it should work out just fine for you. Sounds like you two are progressing already quite nicely, CONGRATS!
Good luck with the training!

FGRanch 03-29-2009 10:32 AM

Almost the same thing I do but I don't use cookies/treats.

I start them off as soon as they come home. When I am grooming, saddleing up, etc, etc, etc, I just drop the lead rope and go about my business. If they move forward I back them up to where they were standing before they moved and remind them that that is a good place to be with a pat. I always encourage them that they are doing the right thing while they are standing there...that being said my horses will all still sneak off while I am out of sight...so maybe I'm doing it wrong! LOL :D

Wallaby 03-29-2009 02:24 PM

Hahaha! Sweet deal! My plan was to gradually phase out the treats by giving them to her randomly, then not at all, after she has it pretty down with treats. =) Thanks!

wild_spot 03-29-2009 06:30 PM

I just expect them to stand. If they move, I back them to where they were and say 'Stand!'. If I see them thinking of moving I just give a warning sound, like ahhhhh.... and they normally stand :]

It's worked really well, both my horses will ground tie anywhere, even at shows.