The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   recommend an anti spyware program (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/recommend-anti-spyware-program-25125/)

Juniper 03-29-2009 03:30 PM

recommend an anti spyware program

Does anyone have an anti virus/spyware program that they prefer?

iridehorses 03-29-2009 04:05 PM

I had a major problem several years ago and the techs at HP told me to download "AVAST". It found problems that Norton and McCaffe could not find - it's free and I've been using it for over 5 years now with no problems. Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition

mysandi 03-29-2009 05:15 PM

I use Avast at work and home and it works great; I haven't had a virus problem with it yet.

close2prfct 03-29-2009 05:26 PM

I use avast but I also run a program (spyware remover)by bulletproofsoft.com I've had it for years works well to get the stuff the others miss

Jehanzeb 03-30-2009 11:06 AM

There is no such thing as "best" antivirus or antispyware as almost all of them lack at some points however there are some which work better then others.

I would recommend AVG Antivirus and combination of Malwarebytes (Antispyware) and Spybot (Antispyware). All three of them I use and they are great at catching viruses and spywares.:D

Hope this helps.

Regards

Juniper 03-31-2009 01:40 PM

I am computer discouraged. I may call in someone to come to my house and help. I did downloaded Avast. Some of my programs are opening only 1/2 the time. Good grief. I am guessing I need an expert to "clean up" my computer. My kids think I should buy a new computer since it has gotten so slow but I do not want to try and transfer all the programs I have on this one.

Lunaries 03-31-2009 03:01 PM

I don't know how to help you -- I'm not very good with technical issues on Computers -- but I use Malwarebytes. I've used AVG, really liked it though we did have some trouble at one point...can't remember what it was. Malwarebytes came highly recommended to me, and it seems to work okay. :/ I'm sorry your computer is being bratty. They can be such a pain sometimes!

RegalCharm 03-31-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 280469)
I am computer discouraged. I may call in someone to come to my house and help. I did downloaded Avast. Some of my programs are opening only 1/2 the time. Good grief. I am guessing I need an expert to "clean up" my computer. My kids think I should buy a new computer since it has gotten so slow but I do not want to try and transfer all the programs I have on this one.

have you cleaned out the temperary internet files and cookies lately
and stored history.

run a check disk scan then defrag your computer.

Staples has a coupoun on this weeks ads for a free computer check up

Juniper 04-02-2009 09:09 PM

Well, I took my computer in. They said I had a rogue malware. A bad one that has been getting through everything. They downloaded AVG, malewarebytes and spybot. Said they were the best, but not foolproof. My computer is so much faster so that is a bonus. It was worth the $75. to me. don't know if that is a reasonable amount to pay but certainly cheaper than a new computer. Thanks though for helping me try to solve it on my own!

Equinspire 04-12-2009 01:35 AM

Ad-Aware is another good free one that I don't think has been mentioned. Seems that we all need several of these programs to keep things under control!

Norton annoys me... It came loaded on my computer when I bought it but it's only a trial version, so it just starts scanning every now and then (if I'm not there to stop it...), then tells me it can't get rid of the stuff it's found unless I pay to upgrade! Pretty rude I think...