The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   anys suggestions on a truck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/anys-suggestions-truck-25140/)

sonnysfirststar 03-29-2009 07:21 PM

anys suggestions on a truck?

ok im looking for a truck that i can pull at least a 2 horse trailer with....i live in pa with lots of mts. so i need some thing that will get me up and over...and this will also be my daily driver which means it has to have ok gas milage...and the cheaper the better i cant afford a 20,000 dollar truck right now...so ill be looking for something used. Hopefully with around 50,000 miles on it or so...so in short i want a dependable truck thats going to last me. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you!

centrestableswendy 03-29-2009 07:34 PM

My friend hauls a 2 horse steel framed trailer with tack area, with a 2000 Dodge Dakota extended cab. They're small enough to get decent MPG(for a truck), but tough enough to haul. Good luck!

sonnysfirststar 03-29-2009 11:01 PM

thanks for the suggestion! anyone else?

Angel_Leaguer 03-30-2009 07:37 AM

I would go with any sort of half ton (F-150, or 1500s depending on the truck brand)... I have a F-150 and get anywheres from 12-15mpg in town miles and 15-19 mpg highway miles. While pulling it is like 10-12... but you will get that with any truck. Whatever you get make sure the engine can take the extra work and that the body can hold the extra weight... otherwise you will go through your truck in a big hurry (transmission...etc)

NikkiF 03-30-2009 09:36 AM

Although we are in the UK, my husband has a F150 Harley Davidson pickup but he wont let me use that for towing.....LOL...its his toy.

So I have a Land Rover Discovery and that tows a single horsebox no problem and has pulled my friends double box without any issues.
With the 4x4 setup, in and out of the mud and step up hill work would be easy for the Discovery.......I am getting about 23-25mpg out of it and it is a diesel but the do a very good V8 petrol version too.....

I am sure the f150 would do the job as the one we have is a very quick truck.

Nikki

amandaandeggo 03-31-2009 10:07 PM

f-250 doesn't even feel like your pulling anything, and were pulling a huge draft cross in a heavy old two horse, and it's capable of hauling much much more

RedRoan 04-01-2009 12:41 AM

I have an F-250 '93, extended bed, two wheel, diesel. And I've pulled my horse trailer with my horse, all my tack, hay, and everything else I needed over Mt. Hood and back four times. Not to mention all the practices i've hauled to for 4H and OHSET (hundreds of miles). And the engine I think will hold up beyond what the interior is holding up to haha. A man once told me "Even though you can see the road through the floor boards, the doors don't lock, and you can't roll up both your windows. So long the engine runs, a ford can get you through anything."

Kentucky 04-05-2009 04:53 PM

any half ton heavy duty or 3/4 ton truck will work or must SuV will to. I would prefer a manual over a automatic transmission, and if possible with a towing package. I prefer Dodges over anything else but a Chevy or Ford will work too.

Tazmanian Devil 04-20-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikkiF (Post 279768)
Although we are in the UK, my husband has a F150 Harley Davidson pickup but he wont let me use that for towing.....LOL...its his toy.

Check the specs for your particular truck, however... when I was looking at F-150s a while back the Harley Davidson model has a MUCH lower towing capacity then the other models. I don't know why, but I remember there was a big difference in towing capacity. If your husband ever reconsiders, check the specs for your specific model first.

As to the original post...

I pulled a 3H trailer (holding only one horse) through PA awhile back in an F-150 (V8 gas engine, towing package). Truck was rated as just under 10k towing and I was pulling about 5500-6000# (trailer, horse, tack, gear, etc.)

Some of the hills were not that easy. The truck did the job, but I would consider that the bare minimum in hilly country.

ALWAYS check the specs for your particular model/configuration. Engine size, tow package options, gear ratio and other factors all play a role in determining what your vehicle can tow. Not all "F-150s" (or any model) are created equal.

Also remember that even if your truck is rated to carry "8500#" it may not be safe to just hook that much up. Most vehicles have TWO ratings (talking bumper pull here). The lower rating is for a standard hitch. The higher rating is when using a weight distributing hitch.

Most car dealers have no clue about this stuff. Fortunately, most car manufacturers have pretty good detail on their websites (if you look hard enough).

Qtswede 04-21-2009 10:09 AM

Used to have a 3/4 ton heavy duty GMC that got 15mpg regardless - empty with nothing attached, or fully loaded with the stock trailer & 4 full sized QH's. Weird truck, gas mileage wise, but towed like a dream. Had to let it go - was getting old, and too expensive to keep up with maintenence (nephew wrecked it, wasn't the same since)