The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   feet question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/feet-question-25143/)

guitar756 03-29-2009 08:20 PM

feet question

The mare I ride absolutely HATES her feet and legs being touched. You can get them up to pick hoves if you are quick, but she wont take it for long. Shel pull the leg out of your hand, stomp, and even lean on you. Any suggestions on what to do in breaking this habit?

hrsjmpr32 03-30-2009 05:24 PM

My farrier had me use a nice soft cotton lead rope and loop it around my mare (no longer have her ) ankle and ask her to pick it up and when she wouldn't i would just pull gently on the rope to pull it up and even if she kicked ,stomped etc I wasn't in the firing range and it worked wonderful. However you must do this gently and not pull on it hard.Hope this helps.

xx chico 03-30-2009 05:58 PM

Could she be in pain maybe?

guitar756 03-30-2009 06:17 PM

I dont think its pain because she isnt consistant in what she does. Shes fine with it one day, and the next she wont let you do it for long. Maybe just being a TB?

xx chico 03-30-2009 07:52 PM

True. She's probably just being a brat lol.

My two year old likes to do silly things like that as well, but he just needs work on remembering to balance himself haha.
He's actually almost fallen over on top of me cause he shifts around so much. I just hold his foot for as long as I can when he tries to paw and be a dork, sometimes its pretty hard though considering he's a fair bit stronger than I am!

NorthernMama 03-30-2009 08:53 PM

If she's just being bratty, you can try the rope thing, but that's more of a training "how-to-do-it" to me. What I've done, especially with a helper to hold her, is I hold up her foot and don't let go. If she's stupid enough to lean on you, let her go down WHILE YOU ARE STILL HOLDING HER FOOT... she doesn't want to fall trust me. But you can't do this with her tied. If you are close to her body, and holding her foot, she can't do much harm to you. You may have a few bruises, but she can't effectively kick you like that.

xx chico 03-30-2009 09:10 PM

At the same time, I think that when she does listen and pick up her feet like a good girl, reward her. There is no harm in giving treats when she does something good :-)

NorthernMama 03-30-2009 09:34 PM

Oh, yes. What chico said! Praise her WHILE she is holding her foot nicely for you.

xx chico 03-31-2009 08:53 AM

LOL. I think we both almost completely forgot that one! woops :-)

BarneyBabby 03-31-2009 11:47 PM

We had a mare like that. We did the rope thing as well.....we almost got killed, she was to smart for her own good. But she learned shoes=food