The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Working in the USA help (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/working-usa-help-251457/)

aschmidtdressage 08-08-2013 04:39 PM

Working in the USA help

I am considering a working student position in California and they would like me too look into visas and I am unsure of what type of visa I would need. I will be riding and bringing my horse and making just enough money to keep my self afloat.

Would anyone be able to give any advice?

tinyliny 08-08-2013 04:53 PM

If they are hiring you, they don't provide some kind of visa support?

Speed Racer 08-08-2013 04:55 PM

That's what I would think, Tiny. A work visa is usually provided by the employer.

PaintHorseMares 08-08-2013 04:55 PM

You need to talk to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

HorseMom1025 08-08-2013 05:36 PM

I think you are looking for an H1B or similar, but it's been over 8 years since I researched visas. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseMom1025 08-08-2013 05:39 PM

A quick search found the page I was looking for.

Temporary Worker Visas
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseMom1025 08-08-2013 05:51 PM

If you are looking to work on campus, it appears you would apply for an F1 student visa.

Working part time while studying in USA on student visa
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 08-11-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschmidtdressage (Post 3295705)
I am considering a working student position in California and they would like me too look into visas and I am unsure of what type of visa I would need. I will be riding and bringing my horse and making just enough money to keep my self afloat.

Would anyone be able to give any advice?

Be careful and check out the situation fully before you commit.

Make sure your sponsor is legitimate and you understand what you're agreeing to.

Proceed with caution. Things may not be as they appear.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-11-2013 09:50 AM

I second the being very cautious thing!! Especially with bringing your horse.

Always have an out - some places are great but lots take a working student as slave labor. At least in cali at most barns they do have lots of barn staff...

But yes, is it possible to take a holiday there for a week before moving heaven and earth to be there?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 08-11-2013 11:14 AM

just walk across the border with no paperwork. Obummer will welcome you with open arms. you can get free medical at emergency room, reduced tuition, free lawyers to help you hide from the law, we will even force our local schools to offer classes in your native language.
Why be punished for being legal ?