The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

horse feed

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TxHorseMom 
#1 ·
i have an 11 yr old standardbred. he is a paddock horse and generally just lives on grass but since it has been a bad year over here there isnt as much feed as normal so he is fed chaff and horse nuts everyday. he is a little thin and i wanted an easy way to plump him up by adding something to his feed i have heard boiled rice is good but i dont know how to cook it up for him any suggestions? and i mean just normal rice that we eat

#3 ·
I never heard about anyone feeding boiled rice. :shock: Rice bran yea (although my horses hated it).

#4 ·
i use corn oil. make sure it is corn oil and not vegi oil (my horse diden't like the veg oil. and i've heard the same thing from others)

it will halp put weight on him, and it will make his coat really shiney and pretty.

#6 ·
Yes, you just pour corn oil on top of the feed. I would start with 1/4 cup at a time and then increase slowly. Some horses don't like either the taste of it or the consistancy when corn oil is added. Others do just fine, or love it. I would stay away from the rice, either boiled or raw. Rice is used to stop constipation (Not necessairly in horses) and can bind them up. I would worry about the risk of colic. Rice bran is totally different. You can buy that in powder or pellets. (I prefer the pellets) It is high in fat and can put weight on them. They come in 50# bags at the feed store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.