The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   First Horse I've owned. Kicking problem? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/first-horse-ive-owned-kicking-problem-251609/)

Squirrelle 08-08-2013 08:00 PM

First Horse I've owned. Kicking problem?

I just got my first horse, a beautiful QH palomino gelding. He got him for free off of my fiancée's friend and the poor guy was half starved. We have had him for around four months now and he has been a very gentle easy going horse, despite the neglect we rescued him from. He is broke, handles great, reins well, not spooked easily with ropes or anything like that. Lets you handle his feet just fine. But today when I went out to mess around with him a little bit, he was acting just fine then all of a sudden ran out ahead of me and kicked once. I think he was doing so trying to play, but I almost took a hoof to the head. It was starting to get cloudy out and fixing to rain and I know that when it rains he starts getting rambunctious. Might this have any reasoning behind his behavior? I am hoping that someone with more knowledge on horses and their behavior might be able to give me some advice. Is this behavior I should be worried about and what should I do if it happens again?

tinyliny 08-08-2013 08:18 PM

think back as to what exactly you were doing, or was happening in the vicinty, when he "ran out in front of me" and kicked out.

What does "messing around with him" mean?

Squirrelle 08-08-2013 08:24 PM

The horse and I were in the middle of an open pasture, just us. I had given him a carrot and was talking to him and petting him a little bit. Then he started walking away so I was walking along beside him on my way back into the house. Then he started walking a bit faster and got ahead of me and kicked out. His body language did not seem aggressive or startled which is why I think he might have been trying to play.

Doodlesweaver 08-08-2013 08:30 PM

My horse "played" with me like this a few times in the spring in the open field. It was a little scary. I've seen videos of people teaching their horses to run and play with them in an open field, at liberty, and always think to myself how dangerous that is.

Squirrelle 08-08-2013 08:33 PM

This is definitely not a habit I want him to have. I am just not sure what I might be able to do to stop the behavior?

Doodlesweaver 08-08-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrelle (Post 3297817)
This is definitely not a habit I want him to have. I am just not sure what I might be able to do to stop the behavior?

I'm not a horse trainer so I really don't know what to tell you. I watch my big guy's ears and his eyes for signs he is getting ready to throw a free buck out in the field. Not knowing a tremendous amount about horses I think it means he is happy and trying to play with me. I suppose it could be a dominance thing, viewing me as a herd member rather than as the leader and maybe ground manners are an issue.

gssw5 08-08-2013 08:52 PM

He is being disrespectful and you need gain his respect. He should not be allowed to walk away from you or get ahead of you when you are with him. Regardless of the reason he kicked out you need to learn to be safe around him and he needs to learn to respect you. Horses are big they can kill you by playing with you like one of the herd. I suggest finding a trainer to help you see where he is disrespectful and help you nip it in the bud. Or look for a trainer to follow and learn from them, Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Julie Goodnight to name a few.
As he starts feeling better he will start to get more disrespectful, and the more he gets away with the wrong behavior the worse he will get. You have to be his leader, and get him to respect you. You don't say if you had lead rope and halter on or if you were just hanging out. Keep a halter and lead rope on him when your with him always and keep two eyes on you, when you walk with him walk at his shoulder and keep your elbow up so if he shoves into you you can push him away, if goes to go past you you are in a safe spot to turn him in a circle around you. When you turn him loose you walk away from him, do not let him walk away from you. Always keep your safety in mind.

LouieThePalomino 08-08-2013 08:54 PM

You by all means don't want him playing with you. You don't want him to even think about lifting a foot to kick in your presence, even if other horses are around. If he wouldn't have missed it could've been fatal. I suggest that you read up on groundwork and manners (Clinton Anderson is a good person to look up) because when you are leading a horse you don't want him running ahead of you. If he tries this again, check him back by doing short little jerks on the lead rope to get his attention and if he doesn't listen, stop him and make him back up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Squirrelle 08-08-2013 09:06 PM

I do keep a halter on him. And when he did kick, I then went and grabbed his halter and made him follow my lead, I wanted to be sure he knew who was in charge, but I was not sure what all else I should do to display leadership.

countrylove 08-08-2013 09:47 PM

If any horse in the pasture kicks out at me they get a "come to Jesus meeting". I will use whatever is near by to throw or swing at them (lead ropes, buckets, sticks, etc) and I will make that horse think I'm bringing the wrath of God down on them. Mind you I do NOT abuse the horse but if they do something as dangerous as kicking they will get chased and usually a good smack or two. They aren't in danger but they don't know that lol and its how disrespect is handled in the herd so they understand it. Only ever takes one of these "meetings" to cure that problem. Also remember the lead made will kick them and it will hurt a lot more than a measly human punch or smack of a cotton lead rope (don't swing the metal clip end at them if you can avoid it). Your smaller and weaker but you can't let the horse know it cause one kick leads to more and more.
Posted via Mobile Device