The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Fencing for my Saddlebred (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/fencing-my-saddlebred-251617/)

JylHunt 08-08-2013 08:01 PM

Fencing for my Saddlebred

I have an older Saddlebred gelding, Indy, that we are going to move home. I've had horses all my life but have always boarded, but since we just bought our first house with a little bit of land, we're going to bring him home. Indy is very socially awkward with other horses (think 3rd grader chasing the other kids around on the playground with a booger on his finger) but has always been in a herd. He isn't really tied to any of the other horses and I have thought about getting him a goat when we move him home. We don't have a TON of property, so as much as I love the idea of getting a second horse it's not really practical. I'm a stay at home mom so I'll be home all the time with him. He has never been one to test fences. We had him and a mare boarded at a place with 2 strand hot wire that wasn't hot half the time and low enough for him to step over had he really wanted to. We want to do wooden posts since they look better and I was thinking about 2 strands of Electrobraid. Anyone have any experience with Electrobraid, older geldings and goats? Any suggestions on other fencing in the same price range?

Inga 08-13-2013 11:22 AM

electric definitely tends to be cheaper. If you know he will stay in it, then I guess all is good though I don't like 2 strand, I would prefer "more fence" then 2 strands.

Also, horses are herd animals so... a friend is needed for sure. IMO Goats usually work. I knew a horse many years ago that had a chicken he traveled to all the shows with. They need someone to love. How about a small pony or mini? You can usually rescue one for $50.00 or so, if you can afford feet trims and vet etc... food is usually pretty cheap for a pony.

Koolio 08-14-2013 07:49 PM

I use 4 strands of 3/8" electric rope with wood posts. It was inexpensive to install, very easy to maintain, looks great and works well. I turn on the electric fencer less than half the time and have just 2 strands electrified. I don't think the horses could / would go through it even with the power off because it looks like and is a substantial fence.

Although 2 strands would work, I prefer 3 or for for both looks and safety.

RitzieAnn 08-22-2013 01:26 AM

We have 2 horses (10&4) and 2 alpine goats (approx 35" & 26"). Our horses stay in a single strand approx chest height. It doesn't matter if its hot, because they've both been zapped, so they don't touch it.

Our taller goat is almost 8yrs old. He will also stay in 2 strands, even if only held by temporary fence posts :-) it needs to be hot.

Our younger (age 4 & also shorter) will stay in 5 strands of hot. Actually, that fence has shocked her before, so she stays away from it. She will go under 1 strand, regardless if its hot. We have a 4ft wood fence & she gets out somehow (she does it when I'm not around, so I don't know how.) She is so hard on feces. She stays in woven livestock, but that's it.

So if you want to do the fence you mentioned, then find a goat rescue & tell them about your fence. You'll likely need a quiet, respectful adult.
Posted via Mobile Device

missaddie 08-24-2013 06:18 PM

I don't have any experience with owning goats, but I do have experience with older geldings and electorobraid fencing. I owned a 32+year old Tennessee Walker Gelding and kept him in with three strand electrobraid. It kept him in fine, and he usually respected it fine. Compared to my other horses he did test the fence more often, by reaching out and zapping his nose, but I think that, that was his personality.
I do like to make sure that my fence stays on, mainly for safety. I have a young gelding now that DOES know when the fence isn't on and will test it. I don't like this so I just leave the fence on. :)

GrittyCowgirl 08-24-2013 10:57 PM

I have had the best luck with electric tape and poly wire for my horses with goats in the pasture with them. My fencing has 3 strands all together, 1.5"-2" tape at the top for a visual barrier for my horses and 2 strands of poly wire underneath. For the goats I have had good luck with placing one strand chest level or a tad lower and one strand nose level (when they are standing with their heads up). My goat loves my horses though and doesn't like being separated from them so unless they get out he usually has no interest in trying.

LuckyRVT 09-02-2013 10:17 PM

I feel like i wrote this post myself! this is what i have done along with maybe a question you will come up with? my horse also was in a herd and is now a loner until our baby donk is ready. Heres a question i have and maybe it will help you when you put your fencing up? I have wood posts with field fencing in her "pasture" (no climb in her "mud lot"). i ran a strip at the top to prevent my horse from leaning over and pushing down the field fence. The field fence is roughly 3-4in elevated off the ground, so i would like to place a line of electric fence at the bottom to prevent her from eating underneath it and bending it upwards. but how high or low should this line go? I am paranoid she will get her leg caught in it if its to low or it wont work if its to high. i hope maybe this helps u out too. recommendations anyone?

Wallaby 09-02-2013 10:56 PM

Ditto what everybody else has said about the fencing. My 28 year old mare will literally stay inside anything I put her in, hot or not.

As far as the goats go, I would definitely research breeds and get in touch with a goat rescue/breeder with retiring does. Definitely get an adult[s]. I have two goats myself, a 1.5 year old Alpine/LaMancha cross [40inches tall] and a 10 yer old Angora doe [30in].
The Angora [I got her because she was being retired from breeding] is pretty typical for what I've heard her breed is like - you couldn't force her over a fence that's taller than 2.5ft. She's the EASIEST critter evvvver, as well as being super laid back and quite gentle. Her only downfall is the twice-yearly shearing. It's not hard at all to do yourself at home, but it does demand time, some energy, and attention. I would really recommend looking into Angora crosses [sometimes you can find an Angora cross with the Angora personality and a shedding coat - like some LaMancha/Angora crosses, for instance. LaManchas are another breed that's supposed to be nice.].
My Alpine/LaMancha [wether, he was gonna be dinner...but I got him instead. haha] seems to be heavily influenced by his Alpine side - very active, social, and dominant as all get out. He's always running, hopping, escaping, you name it.
Just today I was trying to clean the barn and was placing empty feed bags in trash bags, then tying the bags closed as they were filled - I left them alone for 5 minutes, without thinking to tie Atti up, and came back to find that he had untied the trash bags and was throwing the contents EVERYWHERE around the barn. It was really funny [thought about murdering him for a second though, let's be honest], but definitely something my Angora would never dream of doing. While he is a huge troublemaker, the Alpine cross is for sure a load of fun - I've taught him many 'tricks' that you might teach a dog and he LOVES to come on hikes with me. He's basically my goat-dog. My troublemaking goat-dog.
And, for the record, he acts like a 4ft fence is absolutely nothing to climb or lithely hop over. None of my fences are hot, just high tensile wire or wood/pallet, and really none of them of them have stymied him. The pallet fencing has proved to be more tricky for him [I made absolutely sure there were no footholds it the way I put it up] but I imagine that, if pushed, he'd figure out a way over. He'd probably respect electric, hopefully, though! haha

GrittyCowgirl 09-02-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyRVT (Post 3532601)
I feel like i wrote this post myself! this is what i have done along with maybe a question you will come up with? my horse also was in a herd and is now a loner until our baby donk is ready. Heres a question i have and maybe it will help you when you put your fencing up? I have wood posts with field fencing in her "pasture" (no climb in her "mud lot"). i ran a strip at the top to prevent my horse from leaning over and pushing down the field fence. The field fence is roughly 3-4in elevated off the ground, so i would like to place a line of electric fence at the bottom to prevent her from eating underneath it and bending it upwards. but how high or low should this line go? I am paranoid she will get her leg caught in it if its to low or it wont work if its to high. i hope maybe this helps u out too. recommendations anyone?

I would use something like what I inked below to keep your horses away your existing fence. It will give you a 5" gap between the electric and other fencing, lessening the chance your horse trying to lean or paw the fence. As for height for the bottom line I would judge it by the height of your mini. I would put it where it would hit his lower chest that way he could never be tempted to walk under it.

http://www.unionagway.com/Fencing/69...tape-white.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zareba-Electric-Wood-Post-Extender-Insulator/dp/B0002YTO2Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1378176893&sr=1-4&keywords=Extend+Wood+Post+Electric+Fence+Insulator

QtrBel 09-03-2013 01:34 PM

I'd run four strands. You can ground one and keep two hot. Do what you wish with the third. Hot or ground if you choose to alternate. This gives you the best looking fence and is safest for keeping animals of varying sizes in. My preference is tape as it is highly visible but the thicker braided wire would work as well.