The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping question (again)... :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-question-again-25171/)

kitten_Val 03-30-2009 09:38 AM

Clipping question (again)... :)

OK. So I got clippers in Wal-Mart. Now my question is when I clip under the jaw how short should I clip? :-) Also is there a chance horse can blow up? Can I hurt her with it? (I NEVER used clippers on anyone before lol!)

upnover 03-30-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 279755)
Also is there a chance horse can blow up?

um... what? :D

When I clip under my horse's jaw I use a 10 blade (or a blade that's pretty short but won't completely bald my horse). That's usually what comes in most horse clippers I believe. I shave the bottom completely and then blend in the edges if that makes sense. I think it's pretty hard to physically hurt a horse with clippers. I mean, I'd avoid jabbing the sharp points into her but I believe in avoiding jabbing any sharp points into my horse. :D If your horse has never been clipped before you'll want to desensitize her to the sound and vibrations. that can take a while. Also make sure that your clippers are very sharp. I don't think most clippers intended for human hair are strong enough for horses.

kitten_Val 03-31-2009 08:43 AM

Thanks, upnover!

Hmmmm... Interesting... I actually didn't think about it from that point. I mean that horse clippers are different from human one. But after you mentioned it it does make sense to me.

upnover 04-01-2009 01:10 AM

yep, different clippers have different motors/strengths, etc. the ones you have now might be just fine, but you want one that will be powerful enough to get through that tough hair. i would think most could do muzzles, ears, and possibly under their jaw. but as far as bridle paths and legs go, i would be tempted pay a little more and get something with some more power!

LeahKathleen 04-01-2009 01:27 AM

On the subject of horses that have never been clipped before... apparently, my mare was not clipped when she was young, and now she's 16 and I've been working on it for two years now... -.- She thinks they're going to kill her. It is ridiculous. It takes me at least and hour to get her clipped - and I don't do a bridle path because she's a cutting horse, and apparently, there's some rule that says she can't have one. Who knows.

Anyway, I might invest in a pair of horsey-ear plugs so the sound isn't so scary. :]

kitten_Val 04-01-2009 08:41 AM

I will be giving mine a try this month, so we'll see how they react. Not sure it'll be very positive. Lol! I want to clip the head, not the body... :D

Joshie 04-01-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 279755)
OK. So I got clippers in Wal-Mart. Now my question is when I clip under the jaw how short should I clip? :-) Also is there a chance horse can blow up? Can I hurt her with it? (I NEVER used clippers on anyone before lol!)

Why are you clipping? It sounds like you don't have much experience with this. I don't clip. I do, though, remove some of the very long whiskers from time to time just to keep Joshua comfortable with clipping in case we decide to show. I've found that dollar store mustache clippers work well for the extra long whiskers. For body clipping for shows I'd use very good quality clippers.

Ask your trainer for guidance.

kitten_Val 04-01-2009 12:47 PM

Joshie, clipping is not quite right word. I don't need to do "body clipping". My horses (especially paint) have sick pretty ugly looking beard. So I was looking for something to shave those hairs off. Also I'll be showing in Summer and I've never seen horses looking such at the shows. :-)

LauraB 04-01-2009 06:25 PM

Lol, you sure do want to trim off those "billy goat" hairs as I call them if you are going to show. If your horse won't tolerate the clippers and you want to get rid of the billy goat hair quickly a pair of thinning shears would do the job without leaving the chop marks that traditional scissors do.

kitten_Val 04-02-2009 08:39 AM

Thanks, Laura! "Billy Goat" hair - I love that name! Lol!