The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   spraying fly mask (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/spraying-fly-mask-251785/)

beachluvr 08-08-2013 10:48 PM

spraying fly mask

I have been spraying Gracie's fly mask inside and out with bug spray, 10 minutes or so before putting it on her. Seems to help. Is there a reason I should not do this?

showjumperachel 08-08-2013 11:29 PM

I wouldn't spray the inside for two reasons. Firstly, I would be concerned with the spray getting into her eyes. Although this probably isn't a likely scenario, I think it is still a possibility and would just err on the side of caution. Secondly, if you are putting the fly mask on correctly, there shouldn't be any insects inside of it! Spraying the outside of it is probably a good idea though =)

walkinthewalk 08-09-2013 06:54 AM

^^^ditto all that:-) Spraying the fly mask is overkill.

You also run the risk of the eyes having an allergic reaction from such close exposure to the fly spray.

As an example, we can't smell environmental allergens but they don't have any trouble puffing up the eyes of folks sensitive to them:-(

The healthiest thing you can do is to keep the fly masks clean.

I put all of mine in the washer every night, on slow cycle for four minutes, with about 1 TBS of laundry soap. You don't want to use a lot of soap, elst it won't come out of the masks; it doesn't take much to get them clean:-)

You could buy Gracie a couple fly masks, so you would only have to run them thru the washer every couple days:-)

loveduffy 08-09-2013 09:28 AM

I just spray the outside and Welcome to the forum

gunslinger 08-09-2013 03:47 PM

Same here....Permethrin, is the active ingredient in most horse sprays at .2%.

Perminone is sold as a spray for clothing at .5% and used by many outdoors men.

Spray it on and let it dry. You shouldn't have to re-treat very often.

Horse spray is expensive. I've been buying the 8 ounce 10% solution from Tractor Supply for 6 dollars and mixing my own.

6 bucks makes 8 quarts or more depending on how strong you need to mix it or $22s buck for a quart of ready mix...it works fine, just doesn't smell as good.

I'm thinking about adding a little citronella to make it smell a little better.
Gordon'sŪ Permethrin-10 Livestock & Premise Spray, 8 fl. oz.

gunslinger 08-09-2013 04:01 PM

Correction, makes about 6 gallons...

http://pbigordon.com/pdfs/Permethrin-10-SL.pdf

walkinthewalk 08-09-2013 04:05 PM

^^^Wowzer, I can't believe all the folks that spray fly masks:shock:

Not on my Grandmother's tintype, would I do that.

I put them in the washer every night to get the day's gunk and sweat of them:hide:

I must not have near the fly issues everyone else has because I have never seen my horses masks with more than a couple flies on them:think:

Take the masks off and the flies start to gather around the eyes quickly but I have gone out to pasture at different times of the day and have never seen flies crawling on the fly masks:?

beachluvr 08-09-2013 05:05 PM

thank you all for your advice! I do mix up my own spray using 10% permetherin. works well! I do spray the mask daily with a strong water force:) (no more inside spraying though. Funny we do not have a fly problem at all, we have no see ums. They are like a knat only smaller. They bite and itch. ( i live by the ocean in SC)

Celeste 08-09-2013 07:41 PM

I spray the ears of the mask only. Then there is no way you will get spray in their eyes.