The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Why don't people answer emails rant? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/why-dont-people-answer-emails-rant-25180/)

hotreddun 03-30-2009 01:50 PM

Why don't people answer emails rant?

I've been searching for my next jumping horse for over a year. And I'm so fed up with people who don't answer their emails! On one side...there are some people who don't leave any contact number and never answer the "replys" you send to the ad. And then there are people who won't answer emails in a timely manner or just reply "give me a call at." It doesn't annoy me much except I have an 8 month old baby girl...so the only time I get a chance to look at such things is when she's napping. If she heres my voice she wakes up in a split second. Uggh... just a rant. And a warning...if you ever put a horse up for sale and don't answer your emails...I'll steal your carrots.

mls 03-30-2009 02:05 PM

Well, on the other side are those of us that do respond to e-mails about sales, boarding, etc and don't even get a thank you.

Just comes with the anonymous face of e-mail.

My2Geldings 03-31-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreddun (Post 279855)
I've been searching for my next jumping horse for over a year. And I'm so fed up with people who don't answer their emails! On one side...there are some people who don't leave any contact number and never answer the "replys" you send to the ad. And then there are people who won't answer emails in a timely manner or just reply "give me a call at." It doesn't annoy me much except I have an 8 month old baby girl...so the only time I get a chance to look at such things is when she's napping. If she heres my voice she wakes up in a split second. Uggh... just a rant. And a warning...if you ever put a horse up for sale and don't answer your emails...I'll steal your carrots.

so...what's the issue with people saying "give me a call"? that would be my reply to someone who wants more information. A serious buyer won't have a problem calling, if you don't call it sounds more like window shopping on your part.

Dumas'_Grrrl 03-31-2009 11:11 AM

CDT, when you have kids it's easier to e-mail, at least it is here. Everytime I pick up the dang phone I have someone hollering MOM.....I need, or where's this, or somebody pokes someone else in the eye! :lol: I try to conduct my first few questions via e-mail and then if it all sounds good, I'll hide in the bedroom and make an appointment to go see whatever I'm after.

HRD, I CAN'T hardly believe you're little one is 8 months already!!! Got any new pics???? hee hee

My2Geldings 03-31-2009 11:28 AM

Then it brings up another question. If you can't find the time for a simple phone call, should you even be looking for a new horse?

Spastic_Dove 03-31-2009 12:25 PM

When I was selling my horse, I would ask for a phone call. I would get calls from people wanting him for their 8 year old (Haha..no) or a 16 year old looking for a highschool rodeo horse. A lot of the times, I would get emails like:

"Your horse is very pretty. Does he buck or rear?"
"Can I have pictures (when there were already four or five up)"
"I will take him"
Etc.

I would ask for a phone call because I think if you want to purchase my horse, you should be able to MAKE time to call me (I answer my phone whenever). Like CDT said, it gets rid of the people just window shopping with no real intentions to buy.

My adds were very informative and I would reply back answering any questions with "Call me at x to discuss further". I think that is fair. You have issues with your children, I have issues with answering 10,000 emails that probably won't lead anywhere.

Just a POV from the other side.

My2Geldings 03-31-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 280424)
When I was selling my horse, I would ask for a phone call. I would get calls from people wanting him for their 8 year old (Haha..no) or a 16 year old looking for a highschool rodeo horse. A lot of the times, I would get emails like:

"Your horse is very pretty. Does he buck or rear?"
"Can I have pictures (when there were already four or five up)"
"I will take him"
Etc.

I would ask for a phone call because I think if you want to purchase my horse, you should be able to MAKE time to call me (I answer my phone whenever). Like CDT said, it gets rid of the people just window shopping with no real intentions to buy.

My adds were very informative and I would reply back answering any questions with "Call me at x to discuss further". I think that is fair. You have issues with your children, I have issues with answering 10,000 emails that probably won't lead anywhere.

Just a POV from the other side.

Absolutely. That's exactly my point, well written. It would taken me 5 days to type that fantastic response one handed :lol:

Spastic_Dove 03-31-2009 12:28 PM

I forgot you only had one hand!
*sends good vibes*

Cat 03-31-2009 02:14 PM

I agree - if you don't have time to make a phone call, then you don't have time for another horse.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most e-mail programs have spam filters. Depending on how the filter is set-up, they may not be able to see what e-mails have been blocked (my work had one like this). So you may not be getting a response because they never got it. Technology is great, but it does have limitations.

farmpony84 03-31-2009 02:24 PM

my thought on this is "why don't they want any written documentation?" I mean, why wouldnt they type up something like, no vices child safe unless they are afraid it might bite them in the tushies?Honostly though, the only horse I've ever tried to sell was my pony and I ended up trading her because I didn't feel she was what I'd consider safe. So I traded her to someone that knew exactly what I had and what they were getting. I do know that a friend of mine gets a lot of crazies that e-mail her when she sells horses and that's part of the way she weeds them out... if she says call me and they arent serious... they won't call... because a lot of times it's a day dreaming teenager...