The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hocks covered in sores? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hocks-covered-sores-251922/)

CrossCountry 08-09-2013 02:27 AM

Hocks covered in sores?

306 Attachment(s)
My mare has sores all over her hocks, probably 5 or 6 on each. Has anyone ever experienced this before? What could it be from?

I will post a picture tomorrow when I get home from the barn.

Allison Finch 08-09-2013 02:43 AM

They are probably pressure sores from laying on either hard ground or on abrasive bedding like some shavings.

http://www.hockshield.com/wp-content...e/hocksore.jpg

All about Hock Sores

CrossCountry 08-09-2013 02:50 AM

306 Attachment(s)
She is in a pasture with hard dirt ground, so that probably could be it. The thing is there are so many, and all in different places.

AlexS 08-09-2013 03:10 AM

Sounds like scratches or mud fever to me.

CrossCountry 08-09-2013 03:19 AM

306 Attachment(s)
Isn't that typically in the lower portion of the leg?

PaintHorseMares 08-09-2013 05:50 AM

I would guess they are from laying on the ground, also. Over the years, I've noticed that our mares will get scrapes like this when they are getting up from resting on the ground. Watching them, it appears to happen while they are shifting their hind legs under them after they have pushed up with their front legs, scraping that bottom, hind leg on the ground/rocks/etc.

walkinthewalk 08-09-2013 08:50 AM

Two of my four horses used to get hock sores.

One has an injured vertebra, the other has hock/ankle arthritis.

Meaning, they both have some sort of "structural" issue that keeps them from getting up exactly like they should.

Mine come in at night. I put 4" - 6" inches of crush in their stalls, mats, and changed the brand of shavings I was using.

Some or all of that got rid of their hock sores and that was three years ago.

With your horse being outside all the time, it's tough because you can't really wrap her. You could try putting a thick antibiotic cream or ointment on them and see if that helps.

I doubt she has Scratches as that starts at the bottom and works it way up the leg. You should be seeing little sores in the fetlock joint, all the way up the legs.

But, as usual, we love pictures:))))

CrossCountry 08-10-2013 12:55 AM

306 Attachment(s)
Thank you(: I actually bet they are from laying down, although I've never seen her down unless she's rolling.

I got some pictures today, and will attach them. Sorry she was wet, I had just hosed her down. Also I outlined the sores in red, and posted the original picture too incase it's needed.

smrobs 08-10-2013 01:04 AM

I would also guess pressure sores from laying on hard/abrasive ground. Also, she may have a bit of a perpetuating problem with itchiness there. The sores that are from the ground start to heal a little and begin to itch so she scratches her hocks on something to relieve the itch...but the scratching causes the already present sores to get worse and maybe even makes some new ones.

CrossCountry 08-10-2013 01:05 AM

306 Attachment(s)
Oh and here's a picture of her from today(: