The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Solar Fence Charger (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/solar-fence-charger-252026/)

JylHunt 08-09-2013 12:16 PM

Solar Fence Charger

Anyone have any preferences on solar fence chargers? We are buying 2.5 acres and my gelding is very respectful of fences. We're considering going with an electric fence charger, but wow are there a lot of brands out there! Any recommendations?

SouthernTrails 08-09-2013 12:47 PM

I think this is the one we got last time.

Patriot PS5 Solar Fencer Tru-Test (Electric Fencing - Chargers)

or maybe this was the last one, both are work well http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-fence-charger

Plug in types always seems to get hit by lightning, both Solar ones have are over 5-6 years old now and working well

JylHunt 08-09-2013 01:05 PM

The links wont work. But it's good to know solar fences last longer! Thank you!

SouthernTrails 08-09-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JylHunt (Post 3303626)
The links wont work. But it's good to know solar fences last longer! Thank you!

Hmmm... they work on my end...

They ones we got were about 100.00 and are good for 2-3 miles of wire...

Joe4d 08-09-2013 01:34 PM

you need a lightning arrestor at the box and out on the fenceline. But no solars dont last longer, the generally arnt very strong and tend to get grounded out easily by wet weeds. For a permanent fence AC of at least 2 joules is the way to go. Dont look at brands , look at the joule ratings to compare.

Rawhide 08-09-2013 01:40 PM

Besides good info given above here are other brands I'd recommend from experience in field use.
Chargers

Kencove 12V Solar Energizer .5 Joule

Taylorfence.net - Solar Fence Chargers

Boone

JylHunt 08-09-2013 04:26 PM

All great advice! Thank you everyone!

usandpets 08-09-2013 05:12 PM

Solar chargers are ok. AC (plug in) are better.

Solar chargers run off a battery. Batteries do wear out. They don't work well in places that get below freezing during the winter

AC chargers do need a power source but they do give a better zap, even with weeds.
Posted via Mobile Device

JylHunt 08-09-2013 05:27 PM

I believe a solar would be adequate. Indy has never given me trouble with fencing in the nearly 10 years I've had him. He was pasture boarded at a farm with a draft mare for a few years that had 2 strands of hi-tensile wire that wasn't hot 75% of the time, and he could have stepped over parts of the wire had he really wanted to. I'm thinking about doing the electric rope as it is more visible and seems safer to me. We really just need to be able to get the fence up quickly so I can stop paying $225 for board. :D Lucky for me my fiance is quite the handy man!

Joe4d 08-09-2013 11:16 PM

buy once cry once, look at the joule rating, see that $200 solar only puts out .5 joule, compared to a AC charger that price will put out 4 times that. Not that you need a huge jolt, but add some wet grass, a bit of weeds and that low power charger isnt doing anything.