The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What do YOU prefer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-do-you-prefer-25208/)

DakotaMartins 03-30-2009 10:59 PM

What do YOU prefer?

Western or English riding?
Let me know!
And also, put WHY in your answer. WHY do you prefer western over english, or vice versa (:

Jubilee Rose 03-31-2009 12:45 AM

English, hands down.

I love how English really seems to concentrate on perfection, especially if you're doing dressage. I like working on really specific things with my horse and seeing results. Also, believe it or not, English feels more comfortable to me than Western. And I love jumping!

LeahKathleen 03-31-2009 01:27 AM

I'm a western girl.

I love the build and personality of western, stock horses (not bashing English horses, they're wonderful too, and many, many horses do both.) To me western is so relaxed and chill. Paints and Quarter Horses are such wonderful breeds. :]

RedRoan 03-31-2009 02:58 AM

I have only done western but know enough about english that I would probably be fine if I had the tack to do it in. Like LeahKathleen I like how the western world is more relaxed and chill. I've only ran into pretty nasty english riders, and its enough to keep me away from that side of the horse world sadly. I think the english world is more on competition, and 'how high and far can I get there' were as the western world is more like 'looky what I can do with my horse' and 'see this cool move I taught it' sorta mantality. But then again that is the impression so far I have gotten out of english and western. It could be totally different on the other side of the hill for all I know.

Equuestriaan 03-31-2009 09:36 AM

English -- love jumping!

ridingismylife2 03-31-2009 10:12 AM

english by far :) jumping is sooo much fun and it feels like ur flying :D haha. lol

Equus_girl 03-31-2009 11:49 AM

Definately english! I love dressage!

xilikeggs0 03-31-2009 12:10 PM

English, because that's how I learned to ride. I just feel more comfortable in an english saddle. As for showing, I also like being judged on how well I can do something (as in Dressage [even though I don't do it] and hunters), rather than how fast (as in barrel racing, pole bending, etc...).

I did ride my horse in my boyfriend's western saddle yesterday, though, and her canter is much more comfortable in it than it is in my english one.

I'm also starting to rope, so I guess I'm going to have to get my own western saddle and start teaching my horse to neck rein now.

Angel_Leaguer 03-31-2009 03:30 PM

western... mostly because that is how Ive grown up and I know what im doing. I do ride English but I need a lot of work with riding posture and what not.

Walkamile 03-31-2009 07:29 PM

Oh, that's a tuffy for me. I lean towards english, but if I'm riding 6 to 8 hours and packing for the day, I switch to my endurance with western fenders , great for all the things I've got to bring. Very comfy for me and the horse too. If I'm out for just a couple of hours, well, probably english. Love the close feel I get with english.