The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Prospect is Barefoot..When to Reshoe (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/prospect-barefoot-when-reshoe-252090/)

tlkng1 08-09-2013 12:49 PM

Prospect is Barefoot..When to Reshoe

1 Attachment(s)
Another excellent prospect in the works..will know Tuesday if he vets, however, a question in the meantime as I think about logistics.

The horse is newly and currently barefoot by about 4 weeks (would be 5 when he was moved). The ground where he is at is grassy and soft so no issues, however, our bran doesn't have the grass expanse..the horse would be walked on pavement and even the paths to the paddocks do have some rocks.

As seen in the pic (barefoot for 3 weeks) the horse's feet are pretty chipped up but he was sound when I rode him.

Given that he is only, or will only be, 5 weeks out from his last trim, should I get him reshod prior to moving him or wait until he gets "home" and have him done then? Since he would be under quarantine for two weeks his turnout would be limited to a small indoor arena that would limit his exposure to the rougher areas.

Viranh 08-09-2013 01:09 PM

If he's been barefoot for 5 weeks and is sound, I don't see the issue with riding in the trailer and spending a little while in the arena barefoot. I have transitioned many horses to barefoot, and 5 weeks is usually long enough for them to be comfortable with concrete and a little bit of rocky ground for turnout, though not for riding. Depends on the horse though.

If he's miserable sore walking over those kinds of surfaces, I'd go ahead and shoe him, but if he's sore enough to be miserable I'd be concerned there's more going on than just not being shod. I wanted to add, 5 weeks is a long enough time to expect chipping in the barefoot horse. Mine have to be done every 3-4 weeks to prevent chipping, sometimes more, so he IS due for a farrier appointment, but I imagine it could wait until he got to your barn. You could also smooth the chips out with a regular hoof rasp or rider's rasp.

If getting a farrier is a big hassle and you're really concerned, some front hoof boots would do on a temporary basis. IMO, he'll be just fine as long as you aren't expecting to go charging down a gravel road with him.

Viranh 08-09-2013 01:21 PM

EDIT: I just saw the pic (didn't load earlier), and that he was only 3 weeks barefoot in it. Who trimmed him when they pulled the shoes?! His toe is still flared and long. Heels might be a little under-run too. Needs a better trim. Whether you shoe him or not just for turnout, I don't think matters, but he does need trimming.

JustDressageIt 08-09-2013 01:32 PM

That's 3 weeks out? Yikes. Are you wanting to keep him barefoot, or shoe him? The right front is particularly bad and IMO unbalanced.
Personally I wouldn't let the farrier who did that job touch that horse again haha. I would get another farrier to evaluate and go from there. How are his feet now? They may need to be done sooner than later if they've flared more or grown out and chipped.
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 08-09-2013 01:50 PM

The owner/trainer has been majorly busy with shows and pulled the shoes to avoid the issue of having to schedule the farrier in between shows. Her schedule has basically been get home, have one day home and then off again. The horse isn't currently in major training and is only being ridden by her every other week or so. Even the day I went to see him she had only ridden him the day before after not having ridden him for two weeks. What I don't know is if the farrier pulled the shoes or she did..I made the assumption the farrier did as that would make sense to me.

Missy May 08-10-2013 02:04 AM

Personally, I prefer to transport barefoot. If his feet are sound, I don't think walking on a bit on pavement or a few rocks is going to present any problems (or did you mean you would ride him on pavement?).

CrossCountry 08-10-2013 02:13 AM

306 Attachment(s)
Are the back feet kind of clubby? I can't tell.

I agree with what JDI said.

tlkng1 08-10-2013 11:03 AM

No, I wouldn't ride on pavement. I walk my horse to the arenas on pavement but unless it is a short transfer from the outdoor to the indoor (or vice versa) for whatever reason, I don't ride on pavement. In our case the path between the two is about a double car width and the rings are right next to each other.

As for the hind feet no they aren't clubbed..just short..or at least they are in this picture when he was just three weeks barefoot. I am going up to see him on Monday for another ride and he gets vetted on Tuesday..at that point he will be at four weeks (hasn't been ridden all week though he has been in grassy turnout; owner is at a show) and by the time I get the logistics for transport worked out, making the assumption he vets, he will be close to 5 weeks.

Joe4d 08-10-2013 12:12 PM

Id get him trimmed by a competent farrier, and see how it goes.

Missy May 08-10-2013 01:20 PM

Personally, if it is a matter of a week or two, I would just wait so I could establish my own farrier with him at home and ensure his is transported barefoot. Unless there is something wrong w his feet which I think you would have noticed by now, there should be no problem w him traversing a tiny bit of pavement.

It looks like he is a grey (my favorite)...just guessing. I hope all goes well - I bet you are excited.