The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Monty Roberts?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/monty-roberts-2521/)

Madds 07-12-2007 12:12 AM

Monty Roberts??

I just finished reading two of his books. He has had a very interesting life. His join- up method is really very interesting.

I was just wondering what you think of him and his methods, and if you have used his methods or what methods do u prefer??

~Freedom Rider~ 07-12-2007 12:32 AM

monty roberts?

i think he is awsome! what books did you read i have read most of his books. i think his methods are just common sense. his methods work i used them on my filly they work awsome!!! :D

Madds 07-12-2007 08:32 AM

I have read "the man who listens to horses" and " horse sense for people" i think thats what its called anyways :? :lol: But i think his methods are fantastic too!!

I would love to try the methods on a horse that has a rearing problem...but where she is there is no facilities that would able me to do this.We have no round yard there. She is not mine but i teach the girl who owns her. I have been building the mares trust for about 2 years now and yes she trusts me on the ground but never in the saddle. She is 15 and i have contacted previous owners but still. But thats not what this post is here for is it?? I'm just babbling on!! But still if anyone has any tips for me regarding this problem it would be greatly appreciated!!

Flying B 07-12-2007 10:58 AM

He is good, way better than Parelli by far :roll: .

desperate horsewife 07-12-2007 04:19 PM

Madds, have you tried putting up a round pen made of hot wire? I've not read the book, so no clue if you'll need to be on the horse or not, but I know that my horses respect that little white tape just as much as any solid fence :wink: That's how I worked one of my hard to catch girls recently and it did wonders.

Madds 07-12-2007 11:19 PM

I like the idea of the hot wire :D as fees are tough there and there is no money to build a fully fenced round yard, and if i get the products from the right supplier it would be cheap and easy to set up!! thank you!!

Also you do not ride at first, but later on yes

~Freedom Rider~ 07-15-2007 01:36 AM

monty roberts' methods are "painless and simple" i tryed it with a horse i had i work but monty roberts' method "join up" is just to get the horse to trust you it doesn't do any thing for advaced horsemanship.

P.S. you should read his book on "sky boy" at least i think thats the name?

Madds 07-15-2007 01:39 AM

thank you for that opinion. I'm just trying different things with her and also a nice strong bond of trust would be nice :D

I think you mean "shy boy" and speaking of that i just purchased it from the shop :lol:

Maleficent 07-15-2007 07:12 PM

I'm a big fan. Joining up does work, and the horse does trust and respect you more afterwards. I do it still with my own horses, and if anyone ever asks me to work with their horse, the first thing I do is put it in the round pen and join up, no matter what problem I'm facing.

Haflinger 07-16-2007 11:21 PM

Hello,
the first time i saw him at the Equitana (~1990)i was so impressed by him...
the second time at the Equitana (~ 2002) I was so disappointed....
He was all about sales, and then he showed off that new collar he made, nothing but a chokecollar for horses. That really dissapointed me. It wasn't about the horse anymore, or really to help some owners...
I once was thinking his methods were good, but now i am not so sure anymore...
And since that time i am not very interested in taking a deeper look anymore...