The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   An untrained 12y/o? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/untrained-12y-o-25251/)

girl_on_black_pony 03-31-2009 05:38 PM

An untrained 12y/o?

I was thinking about buy a mare that has no under-saddle training, or anything of that sort.
She was a broodmare, so all she knows is leading/loading/tying.

How would this be different from training a younger horse? Harder, quicker, easier? She is really calm and the people said you could sit on her and such...

Just wondering. Thanks. :)

Loosewolf 03-31-2009 05:52 PM

I am wondering the same thing.
I am looking at a Friesan whom I gotten to know well, and he's about the same age, and nobody's quite sure what or IF he's even been trained at all.
I would think they can be trained almost anytime during their useful years, but I might guess they may take a little longer, what with developing their current head-sets. You might run into some vices or habits that first will have to be dealt with.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-31-2009 06:23 PM

Get a vet check to confirm her soundness and basic structures, but basically at any age after 5 if the horse is un ridden then you have a good chance of the horse having fewer soundness issues. The only thing I would be worried about with a horse this old is being "past her prime" and possibly breaking down faster because her body was not conditioned towards undersaddle work when she was younger.
I would go about it the same way as breaking a young horse and really make it a positive experience for her. Don't just hop on - condition her for it.
Who knows she could turn out to be a very good under saddle horse.

girl_on_black_pony 03-31-2009 06:36 PM

^^ thanks. I plan on finding that out :)

IheartPheobe 03-31-2009 06:50 PM

If I were you, I'd start her out the way you'd do with a young horse and eventually, once you've got her under saddle, try a little more than you might try on a younger horse's first ride. It might turn out she was ridden once or twice and knows the basics.

We bought a little MFT pony last year and were told he had no idea how to be ridden, but we didn't even have to teach him - once he was under saddle again he knew every last thing except how to canter; which is.. weird.

PoptartShop 03-31-2009 07:13 PM

I would act like she's a young horse (I mean, she doesn't have the knowledge under her belt like an older, more experienced horse), & go from there. :) Gradually work with her- hey, she might not need much training if she's good with the basics! Just gradually train with her, & if she starts out good you can do a bit more.

girl_on_black_pony 03-31-2009 07:46 PM

^^ Yeah I'm hoping she DOES have experience. That'd be a pleasant surprise! :)

KTSpeedhorse 03-31-2009 07:51 PM

I agree with starting like you would a young colt, but do not belive that 12 is past her prime LOL. Depending on what type of riding you will be doing with her, I would not be too worried about her conditioning, this will come with starting her.

girl_on_black_pony 03-31-2009 08:07 PM

^^ i was hoping that was the case :)

Go The Distance 03-31-2009 08:18 PM

I just broke a hot headed 11 year old arabian gelding, with minimal human contact his whole life..
we are going to our first endurance ride in april, i got him in november. :]

it was a challange, but it is possible!