The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   High School Riding Team (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/high-school-riding-team-25257/)

anrz 03-31-2009 07:03 PM

High School Riding Team

I just found out that a high school in Waunakee started a riding varsity team and I decided to persuade the high school I will be going to (two years from now- I'm in 7th :D) to start a horseback riding varsity team- not just a club. Does anyone have any ideas on pluses or websites I could go to, etc.? It would really help because I really want them to start a riding team since so many people would love it, including me :), plus it would be really fun. Thanks in advance.

Snaffle 03-31-2009 09:36 PM

Maybe this site will help?
Getting Started - IEA Membership Requirements

If you could, ask a Grade 11 or 12 to campaign for you. People are most likely to listen to them than a Niner because they've been their longer.........no offense. Good Luck!

RedRoan 04-01-2009 12:03 AM

I did OHSET (oregon high school equestrian teams) for three years. Oregon got the idea off of Wisconsin who I think were the first one to actually start up high school teams (not the high school rodeo, that is pretty different from the high school teams that are becoming more popular today).

It was really fun but I don't know how simular the Wisconsin's teams are to the Oregon teams. But hey good luck! It was a very special expierence for me, and I will never want to trade those memories for anything else. It definitly was a high light of my high school years. I recommend anyone to become apart of a team like those in high school.

Aliboo 04-01-2009 07:14 PM

wow i doubt there could ever be anything like that here..oh well

jumpwhat007 04-10-2009 10:43 AM

IEA. Theres show teams from all over the country. Its relatively cheap to do, and is usually stationed at a local barn that would be willing to host a team. The team could be named after a high school, or after the barn. I was on a varsity IEA team. Most teams have JV and Varsity.

anrz 04-14-2009 05:38 PM

thanks so much! this really helps.

juju 04-14-2009 10:14 PM

I did IEA for the 1st time this year. I thought it was really fun and showed me many new things. It was the 1st time i didn't have to worry about my horse or wake up before the sun rose. I defiantly suggest trying to set up a team or finding a team nearby. However, from my experience, make sure that your coach is responsible and will help you make it to all of the shows you are alloted. I had never shown without the trainer that i have used since i have started riding and i quickly realized some differences! Have fun and it is a great program!