The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Mini mare hates new colt (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/mini-mare-hates-new-colt-252801/)

Sasa 08-10-2013 04:44 PM

Mini mare hates new colt

I just got a new Mini colt, 1.2 yrs. old and not ready to geld yet (waiting for the other T to drop). My 2 yr.old Mini gelding loves him and they are best buds. My 13 yr. old Mini mare however is doing the "put the baby/pre-stallion in his place" thing and she is so aggressive toward him, (continually charging, kicking and biting and even kicking the fence repeatedly when he is on the other side of it), that they have to be separated. She did not do this when my 2 yr.old came in as a 10 month old but this new boy is different than Redford was when he came here, he is still very baby-headed, no maturity at all. How long will she do this? will she only accept him once he is gelded?

Tryst 08-10-2013 07:24 PM

Unless you want her pregnant they should not be put together anyways! He can certainly get her pregnant at his age. I would suggest keeping him separated from her until at least two months after he is gelded.

FeatheredFeet 08-10-2013 10:33 PM

The mare is telling you she doesn't want to be bred and whether he has one testicle or two, he can breed her at his age. Could be his other testicle will never drop. Separate them before one of them is injured.

Lizzie

Sasa 08-12-2013 12:40 AM

They are separated of course. I was just wondering if she will still hate him after he is gelded or if she will accept him once he's a gelding. She was fine with my gelding when he was 10 months old and right up until he was gelded so this is a different reaction than the last time.

Sasa 08-12-2013 12:42 AM

This will be the third horse I have had gelded so I am familiar with the routine. My gelding dropped one testicle at 1 and the other 2 months later. Hopefully this guy will do the same thing.

DuffyDuck 08-12-2013 04:44 AM

I would ask a vet to look. Some do drop, some need a more in depth surgical procedure.

FeatheredFeet 08-12-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasa (Post 3325041)
They are separated of course. I was just wondering if she will still hate him after he is gelded or if she will accept him once he's a gelding. She was fine with my gelding when he was 10 months old and right up until he was gelded so this is a different reaction than the last time.

No way of knowing, until he is gelded. Even then of course, there might be just something about him your mare doesn't like and will never change.

Lizzie