The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse biting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-biting-252921/)

thunderflatt 08-10-2013 05:59 PM

Horse biting

I have a 7 year old mare that was started about a year ago riding. She has been somewhat of a challenge. The last couple of days she has started biting at my boots. It seems her right side is the one causing the bigest issue. I can press against her sides with my hands, can take the stirup and beat against her side, but as soon as I get on her she starts up again. This has just started. Today I gave her a kick with my boot and took the right rein and gave her a tap on her neck, a tap was all it was, promise. That seem to take care of it for the time being. I rode and ask for a few more things, she did them and got off. Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on. This just started. Her saddle was gotten last fall and I have been riding her in it. Like I said this just started yesterday. Want to make sure it is just another one of her little avoidence issues. We have been in a power struggle ever since I got her home from the trainer. I have even had him come out a ride her about a month ago. He can ride her perfect. It is I who seems to be missing something. I have been riding for over 20 years, and she is my biggest flustration.

tinyliny 08-10-2013 06:45 PM

Probably there are little things that you do , ways that you accept behaviors from her that are not YOUR idea, but are her's, that get her to thinking that she can drive the wagon, so to speak. She probably has not been reprimanded soon enough nor sharply enough to make her stop thinking about arguing.
If the first kick of your foot to her mouth didnt' do it, do something bigger. If she reached back to bite you, let your foot run into her mouth a bit harder and faster. it has to make a memorable impression or she'll forget and go back to the same old behaviors.

AlexS 08-10-2013 07:00 PM

Does she ever do it to the left side, or is it only the right?

gssw5 08-10-2013 07:05 PM

Yes I agree with Tinyliny, "a tiny tap" is not memorable. Next time let her meet taps cousin whack. If you watch horses in the field they are not gentle with each other, your not going to hurt her by being assertive. Bad little behaviors will turn into big bad behaviors if you let them.