The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Calgary Board - North (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/calgary-board-north-252945/)

short stuff 08-10-2013 06:13 PM

Calgary Board - North

I'm looking for a new barn to board at. I am working on developing a young jumper (we are doing hunter right now). I am looking for a barn in the north east/west of Calgary to board at. Any suggestions?

JustDressageIt 08-10-2013 06:21 PM

Glenhaven is north of the city, not quite to Cochrane. I don't know much about them other than it has a lovely facility and I liked the "vibe" I got when I was there.
Concorde stables is up in Cochrane, they do a full jumper programme but are very expensive.
There's also East Acres Farm with Samantha from Elation Equine Services. I don't know anything about it in person but I really like the way Samantha came across in her emails to me when I was looking for a trainer. Only reason I didn't go there was that my friend came available instead.
Steer clear of Riqueza, near Chestermere. I was not impressed with the care there, and it seems they run a program designed to get riders in and out of the ring. They were at a show a year or so ago where they had two riders riding a horse that was skin and bones. I was disgusted.

My2Geldings 08-10-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by short stuff (Post 3314289)
I'm looking for a new barn to board at. I am working on developing a young jumper (we are doing hunter right now). I am looking for a barn in the north east/west of Calgary to board at. Any suggestions?

To be honest, there will be a lot more options on the south side of the city by Spruce Meadows. In fact I would have to say at least 80% of hunter/jumper facilities are out by that end of the city.

There are a few places out in that general area of the city. West winds Riding Centre is one of them. I don't much about them other than I know they have had a few nice horses come out of their training program. There is also Diamond Willow which I also know nothing about.

If you would consider the south side of the city, there are a few of us on the forum who either board in the same facility, or in nearby facilities who can make suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 3314337)
Steer clear of Riqueza, near Chestermere. They were at a show a year or so ago where they had two riders riding a horse that was skin and bones. I was disgusted.

That is absolutely heart breaking. It tells you a lot about a facilities lack of professionalism and equine care, thats a shame.

short stuff 08-10-2013 09:55 PM

Ok - I am open to boarding facilities on the south side of the city down near Spruce. Any suggestions in that area? They would need to have outdoor board (in private paddocks preferably).

My2Geldings 08-10-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by short stuff (Post 3315985)
Ok - I am open to boarding facilities on the south side of the city down near Spruce. Any suggestions in that area? They would need to have outdoor board (in private paddocks preferably).

Where are couple off us are boarding is Allomai Equestrian. There is that specific type of board available, and you will have 2 trainers to choose from.

short stuff 08-10-2013 10:40 PM

I actually had that barn bookmarked as my first choice to look at. That's awesome! I will check it out. Any things I should know about the barn? How long have you been there?